▼

Thursday, September 24, 2026

Book Review: Hopeless Necromantic

Hopeless Necromantic (The Catseye Chronicles, #1)Hopeless Necromantic 
by Shiloh Briar
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This little cute book is a bit of a conundrum. At times I loved it, and yet other moments I was super frustrated.
 A couple things to know right away:
  • there is no spice here. Barely even some longing. It’s mostly a plot driven story 
  • we are dropped into the middle of a fantasy world with no anchors and little info dumping (which is both good and bad as it’s a hit disorienting) 
  • the core of this book is about emotional distress, grief, and guilt. It’s not all that lighthearted at time and in fact has a few moments that are just heart wrenching 
Overall I liked this and will read the second book as the characters were quite compelling. I enjoyed getting to know both our MCs but especially our necromancer.
Comparisons to a number of other books I’ve seen are mostly just referring to there being necromancy. Nothing about this is like Locked Tomb (it’s more the exact opposite!), it lacks the real dilemma of evil that Django Wexler gives us in his quirky evil lead perspective series, and it doesn’t have the mystery aspect of Assistant to the Villain. So I’d recommend throwing out all comparisons and just go in knowing that there is some grief and regret emotional baggage, cute flirting, sarcastic quips from our leading male, and a downtrodden (everyone dislikes her cause she’s a demon in the human world) leading lady who is likeable enough.
I’m really hoping we get a lot more sparks between our two MCs in book two!

There is a small cliffhanger at the end of the story but nothing too difficult, at least for me, to hang onto and pick other books up while I wait for book two. I will caution this was a ‘break’ book for me. Which is to say, a book where I am looking for something lighter, fluffy, fun, and nothing too ‘fancy’. It was a bit more emotionally involved than I expected but well done and I appreciated the friend to enemy narrative and difficulties shown in accepting someone for who they are today (not who they once were). As someone whose had that happen with someone I was close with it can be hard to move on and I think Shiloh Briar does a very good job of the emotional turmoil and emoting needing to give credence to her characters feelings.

I’m looking forward to book 2 and hope that we continue to have sarcastic overtones from the leading male as that is easily the best part!

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and cherish each and everyone of them. They continue to inspire me to carry on. :)
Thank you to everyone who visits and who also comment.