Sunday, December 3, 2017

Book Review: The Infinite Now


Title: The Infinite Now

Author: Mindy Tarquini

Genre: Young Adult, Historical, Supernatural

Rating: 1 out of 5 stars


DNF @ 40%


While the concept and set-up of The Infinite Now are really good; the actual execution of story is so boring. I can't believe I was only at 40% when I stopped reading this as it felt like the story should be almost over. By 40% I felt like I had been reading for thousands of pages (even though it was only just over 100 pages in reality). 


The Plot

It's really unfortunate as the concept is quite god. Our lead gal has lost her parents due to the influenza outbreak during war time in London. Her mother was a seer or witch. Subsequently the superstitious Londoners are afraid of her and she is lucky to be taken in by an old man who seems to have some loyalty to her family. 

She inherits a curtain that seems to help tell the future, meets another witch who may be nefarious but appears to be trying to help, everyone in her area is ailing, children are starving as their parents have influenza and can't get out of bed, meanwhile war is raging elsewhere. 


Sounds kind of good right?

It should be but sadly it's not. I'm not sure if it's the writing, the repetitive nature of the narrative or that our lead gal is just boring. But I can say with certainty that I'd had enough and just wanted to read anything else. So a DNF it is. 

I'm always sad to DNF (as it's maybe unfair to the author) but at some point you have to stop the bleeding and move on. 


Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

It does sound kind of good...what a shame it turned out so boring. But I have to say, the book confuses me without even owning it! The cover looks like some modern romance, and than it's a wartime-witch-story? Also you said it's set in London, and the blurb talks about Philadelphia...see, so much confusion without reading even a single page!