Thursday, March 29, 2018

Book Review: Fania's Heart

Title: Fania's Heart
Author: Anne Renaud 
Illustrator Richard Rudnicki
Genre: Children's Illustrated Book
Rating: 5 out of 5 

This is such a small book. One with only a few pages and no one page is filled with words. And yet it is filled with so much emotion; from sadness and despair to hope and freedom. 

I read the main story and wondered to myself two things: 

  1. How could I ever read this bittersweet story to a child? And at what age would I be okay reading it to them? 
  2. Is it truly possible that a tiny heart was created in a concentration camp? 

While I still perhaps unsure of the answer to the first item, the answer to the second one truly astonished me. This is a TRUE STORY. While I was a bit choked up reading the story itself (as it's very moving) when I moved on to read the last pages that outline that Fania's Heart is a true story. Fania's Heart is a relic of Auschwitz that is in a museum in Montreal and was owned by a Jewish woman of 20 years old imprisoned there during WWII. She eventually came to Canada following the war which is how it came to be at a museum in Montreal. 

I'm not a crier most days but this is an unbelievably moving story. The simplicity of it as a children's illustrated book is part of what makes it so moving, in my opinion. You don't need a lot of words or pictures to tell a story like this.  You only need some symbolism, context and genuine truth. 

Upon writing this and reflecting upon Fania's Heart I have decided that I would read this story to any child, of any age if they asked. Because at it's core this is a story of hope, courage and love. All wonderful things to teach our children of from any age. I encourage everyone to look for this story, even if only to leaf through it at your library and experience the story of Fania's Heart. 

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Stories that touch the hearts of children and adults alike are often the best stories. This sounds like such a story, I hope to read it some day.