Sunday, March 10, 2019

Book Review: Firestarter

Firestarter (Timekeeper #3)Firestarter by Tara Sim

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Yes I took forever to read this as I savoured every bit of it. I even almost came to tears twice near the end which is really not like me. Those two things alone are indicative of how much I love this series. It has so many amazing elements: gods, weird time, gay boys in love, great friendships, spirits, magic (of sorts), terrorists, family and a cast of characters to adore.

Plot
I can't say much here about Firestarter as it is the third in the series. This is one trilogy where it's really important to read all three books in order. The entire story arc begins in the first 100 pages of Timekeeper (book 1). I love that it's clear that Tara Sim had the whole story thought-out in advance. Or at least she faked it well if she didn't (lol). All three books feel cohesive across each novel and at no time did it feel like there was filler.

Characters
Be prepared. That's really all I can say. But have some tissues ready because, like any good series, everyone does not make it. The choices made by Sim of those who do or don't make it are well placed. Each character that finds love, dies or discovers a new life by the end of Firestarter has a purpose and tells a morale that Sim has chosen.

Just Amazing
Did I mention that I love this series?
I know I'm a broken record on this one but I really do adore it and cannot wait for Sim to release more books! If this is what she can do with her first YA trilogy I can't even begin to imagine what her next might be like. I hope she's fiercely writing so we all get another magical treasure from her.

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

See, now that's how trilogies should happen, with a nice, continuous story arc from beginning to end - not glued to the end of a successful first book! I can't wait to read these.