Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Book Review: Invisible Garden

The Invisible GardenThe Invisible Garden by Valérie Picard

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is less of a book with a story and more just a collection of illustrations that, when put together, could tell a story. There are probably less than 30 words in the whole book. While I'm not opposed to books that tell a story via the illustrations I feel you should do all or none. Create a story that can be read like a bedtime story, or have no words at all. The few words on the pages would frustrate many of the toddlers I know as they would want to know what it says but be unable to remember each time they look through the book.

Additionally the story is one with little excitement. A girl is sent to the garden and imagines herself as a small part of said garden. From dancing with bugs, falling into water and dirt, and eventually getting to fossils and running with dinosaurs. For me it lacked a real cohesiveness. And I know those who love creativity for the sake of creativity will disagree with me; but I still believe that a continuity and story that can be followed and worked out is important. It can be magic that is the answer, or just imagination; but I should still be able to understand how we got to dinosaurs. You know?

Overall the illustrations are lovely; but there is no real substance to the Invisible Garden. Therefore I would leave this one behind and move to a book that has more of a story and creates a meaningful connection to the character(s).

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

I don't know the book, but from your review I imagine it would make a better colouring- than story book :)