Monday, March 23, 2020

Stitching: New Start & Alice

I can't help but laugh (lest I cry) at the irony of the two reasons I have stitching updates to share with you today: 
First is that I was laid off from my government job (due to budget cuts) 5 weeks ago. I was crushed and very upset. That has taken me time to digest and start to figure out what is next. Just as I was feeling like I could get things on track and find a new job the second major event happened, the announcement of COVID-19 virus as a pandemic. Canada immediately reacted (of course) and started shutting down events, gatherings, and asking people to self-isolate and stay home where possible. Since that March 11th day it has been a whirlwind for the entire world. No one (okay maybe the Antarctic penguins) has been left untouched by this crisis and it will be remembered for generations to come. 

Both these events has left me with time to do things. For a little while I couldn't even concentrate or figure out 'what' to do. Here I am at home (where I usually love to be) with all my hobbies around me (ie: stitching, reading, comics, puzzles, etc.) and at a loss for what to do. How can this be? 
Slowly I've realized that it's part of being stunned. Two whammies in a row have nearly paralyzed me into playing cell phone games and napping. Thankfully the Internet (while often a big sucking hole of time) has connected me with many people (as always) and I've received some inspiration from those people; and so I have stitching to share! 

This is a new start for me by Kelsyn's. It's one of 16 motifs from her Itty Bitty's pattern. I have been starkly reminded why dark fabrics are so much tougher to stitch on, and even pulled my magnifier out for this one. But I do love the way the colours pop so far. I'm hoping to fit 6 motifs on this black piece of 36ct evenweave. 






And I have worked on Alice! I know you're all shocked. One of my 'goals' recently was to actually pull her out a lot more often. And you know I'm reminded that I love stitching her once I have it all going; it's just finding motivation to grab her as she's large and a bit unwieldy. Nevertheless I am committed to making Alice happen. And so here is the latest little area I worked on and a picture of the larger piece completed from right before I added more stitches yesterday. 




I hope everyone is staying safe, practicing social distancing, trying to stay as calm as possible, and reacquainting themselves with some at home hobbies! Or maybe even trying something new. 

4 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Oh Mel, I am so sorry to hear this about your double whammy! How awful for you, whilst we are all trying to process this new Covid-19 world you have even more on your plate. All I can say is that I am thinking of you, sending you hugs and good wishes and keep stitching! xxxx

Sandra B. said...

Oh, no! I'm sorry to hear that you were laid off. As a substitute teacher I am also not working right now. But I can't apply for unemployment, I'm considered an "at will" employee. :/ Here in Virginia the governor has cancelled the rest of the school year. Hopefully in a few weeks everything will sort its self out for you.

Leonore Winterer said...

This year must be really tough for you. And here I was hoping 2020 would be a good year for all of us! I am glad to see you stitching, though. Alice deserves some love and maybe, this way something good can come from being stuck at home.

Robin in Virginia said...

Mel, I am sorry that you were laid off from your job. Hoping something will turn up soon for you! Alice is looking good and that mini block is precious. Thinking of you!