Monday, June 15, 2020

Book Review: A Surprising Friendship

A Surprising Friendship by Andrew Wald
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

While a cute story and adorable illustrations, I couldn't help but laugh from page 1. It reads:
"... a playful Canadian goose, loved swimming in the pond." 
Now if you've ever met a real Canadian goose before you will have likely encountered their massive attitude problem. These geese are not polite or nice at all (generally). Instead the geese are vicious, mean, and will literally attack you if you invade their space (even if it's next to your car or on the pathway). So while I understand what Andrew Wald was going for here in terms of showing that friendships can survive a time away from each other (over winter). I also must admit that I'm concerned some child will instantly think a wild goose makes for a great friend. I'm less concerned that a child will think of a wild bear as a friend; as if your small child is out in the woods alone and meets a bear I seriously wonder about your parenting skills (lol). But geese are found in the city, near water, etc. and so it's far more likely that a child might encounter one. So just make sure if you read this to a little one they know that the goose and bear are friends; but maybe not friends with humans the same way. 

This is a simple story that sends a great message. It's generic and so safe for a gift for any child or family. And I love the message that even if you are apart for some time that doesn't mean you stop being friends and cannot reconnect in the future.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Even I have heard of the notority of Canadian goose, the least polite Canadians out there!