Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Book Review: Diamond Rattle Loves to Tattle

Diamond Rattle Loves to Tattle 
by Ashley Bartley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


First I just want to express my HUGE gratitude that the snake is not completely vilified and made out to be awful in this book. In fact our snake (the star of the story) learns something and eventually champions a tough concept by the end. Too often snakes are turned into evil or bad characters and it reflects in how people treat or see real snakes. It may seem silly but when you are combating a myth that all snakes are bad it's the little thing that count.

This is an adorable book. And it's about a really tough topic for many children to understand. Tattling. When is it bad enough to tattle?
Writer Ashley Bartley gives us examples of when to (and when not to) tattle. More importantly she gives us some words to use to help children out:
"Consider: Is someone unsafe? Can the problem not wait?
And does the problem even involve you?"
This is a brilliant simplification to help anyone (adults included!) to determine when it's time to tattle and when not. There is also a parents guide at the back, great examples in the story, and more tricks and tips for little ones to help them truly understand.
I will definitely be buying this for future children and it should be a part of every library. Complex topics stump many of us adults (myself included) and tattling is one I've struggled to explain to children in the past. I'm excited to have this book in my toolbox for the future.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Heck, I want to read this because I'm STILL struggling with when tattling is 'not okay' and when it is today! And that snake looks adorable.