Sunday, May 22, 2022

Book Review: Brindille

Brindille 
by Frédéric Brrémaud
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I’m not sure what exactly happened in Brindille. It starts out really good, a bit vague but I can handle that at the beginning of a story. The opening panels of this graphic novel are gorgeous forest art. Our heroine is mysterious but interesting… and so it goes along. Then somewhere around issue #3 things start to happen with almost no context. I felt like I had missed something numerous times to throughout to the last issue in this collection (#8). I flipped back a couple times in case I was just tired and missing details but they literally just aren’t there.

It’s too bad the plot and information is lost as the art is wonderful. I loved how panels were very distinct in colour tones. When it was the war or enemy the panels were very dark, heavy in blues and reds. Whereas our forest panels (mainly featuring Brindille) were green and yellow, bright and filled with hope.

If only I could have figured out more of the storyline. It’s almost like the creative team was told in issue 3 or 4 that they had less time to tell the story than expected; so they panicked and cut out too much? I’m not sure what happened except that it just fell apart for me. So sad as I think there was real potential here.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Aw, that's so sad - the cover alone is sooo pretty!