Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Book Review: Good Weather Suicide Cult

Reunion of the Good Weather Suicide Cult 
by Kyle McCord
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I think this story would make a better screenplay or mini-series than a book. I know the author is trying to be creative with the use of the ‘Netflix docuseries’ descriptive chapters. Unfortunately for me they were a bit too dry; even though they involved the key details of the mass suicide and the formation of the cult (which should have made them the most interesting).

At its core Reunion of the Good Weather Suicide Cult is about being a survivor. About how to cope, come to terms with, and ultimately accept that you were a part of a larger event but in a different way than most. Instead you were the only survivor, or one of the few who saw and now carries the horrific sight in your mind, or someone who got lucky and missed the event by some happenstance of fate or karma.

Personally, I would have liked more of our female cop character who witnessed much of the aftermath of the soccer field mass killings. She was very interesting and her conversations with our lead character were probably the best pages of this book.

Overall, this (Kindle only) novel was fine. It wasn’t a thrilling cult story as I had maybe hoped for; and it didn’t go deep enough into the psyche and characters as a true character study novel needs to. It sat somewhere in-between and thus I give it my mediocre rating of 3 stars.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Shame you didn't like this one much. From the blurb,it sounds quite amazing!