Sunday, March 24, 2024

Book Review: Episode Thirteen

Episode Thirteen 
by Craig DiLouie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Well this was different. Starts off creepy and fairly scary, then gets weird as it goes on… Overall a good, engaging read.
Some of my typical complaints about ‘found’ journals are here; like why someone would stop to write down a scary event when they are still trapped, or waste battery power for light to write. Things like that which always irk me a bit. However majority of the story is ‘footage’ found on video cameras so it works.

Would have loved more of the ‘analysis’ at the end to hear theories about what happened, or how it could have, or how it fits into quantum mechanics or other scientific theories. Although maybe the average reader of horror isn’t as geeky as me and doesn’t care once the scary jumps are done. Lol!

Overall this is a weird little book. The ending is reminiscent of Stephen King (just so odd you couldn’t ever have guessed it from the beginning). I appreciated the archetypes of characters used here. A couple characters could have been more fleshed out for me; but it wasn’t critical in the end. I’d really love to see this made into a limited series where each character could have some good screen time (and the ending could be over a 2-hour, 2-part episode).

Will be passing this onto my horror buff husband with fairly good certainty that he will enjoy the first 3/4, and likely go with the way the ending plays out. I did get a print copy of this one for us as it just seemed too good to pass up a book that we would both be interested in. I’m glad to see it on our horror shelf (most of which I haven’t read). Highly recommend this one for anyone looking for something spooky!

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Uh, this one sounds spooky indeed. They way it says it explores what happened through discovering journals and recordings and other clues, I think it might also make for a great scary video game, perhaps?