Friday, May 3, 2024

Book Review: The Last Bloodcarver

The Last Bloodcarver 
by Vanessa Le
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


With twists and turns, romance, friendship, and injuries to all; The Last Bloodcarver is likely to thrill any teen/YA reader that picks it up (and most of us YA adult readers too). In her debut novel, Vanessa Le introduces us to the unique magical power of our leading girl in the confines of a private home where she is using her magic in secret. From there we are whisked away on a journey where: hiding is necessary, betrayal is looming, a hint of romance presides, and a larger than life friendship keeps us company.

The magic here especially interested me as I have fibromyalgia, a nerve condition with no cure, no known cause, and only current offerings are medications to help get ‘quality of life’ as high as possible. Therefore hearing of our girls power to turn her pain receptors off, repair physical damage to many organs, including the brain, or the vascular system, greatly appealed to me. What I wouldn’t give to have this ability myself, or for someone with it to bless me with relief!!

Interestingly, and brilliantly, Lee shows us that this same magic can be used to kill and destroy just as readily as it may heal and save. Where one might use it to for healing individuals ailments; another might use it to decimate their enemies. Putting ultimate power of life and death in the magic welder’s hands.

This was the point at which I wished I wasn’t reading a YA fantasy (with some typical romance, of course) and instead wished this set-up in the hands of a writer of grimdark adult fantasy. Where an author could really elevate the game and discuss the morals and options posed to our characters at a level that would leave interpretation open to the reader.
Alas this is a YA novel, and so instead we get some typical romance on the side, the uncertain confidence of a teen, and the reluctance to become an adult (and having to take responsibility for your actions). As a YA novel it’s bang on to the genre. My difficulty is l see how it could be so much more!

That’s not to say this isn’t good; because it is. And I could definitely see many a pre-teen/teen becoming obsessed with it (especially if it’s one of their first gripping fantasy reads). I hope future novels in the series take a closer look at the politics and conundrums of society as it relates to the magic I n The Last Bloodcarver. I have great hope for the future books promised to come and that Lee will open up the discussion of morality, good versus evil, and the cost of healing over death. At the end of the day I will be seeking the sequel next year and definitely picking it up sooner rather than later.

A solid choice in the teen fantasy realm and one that is well written by a debut POC!! A refreshing breath of fresh air compared to so many in this genre that are stale or stagnant of late. Just remember it’s written to its audience (as it should be) even if it could be so much more!

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

That does sound good but you're right, the subject would lend itself amazingly to a more gritty-adult book too.