Saturday, September 20, 2014

Counting Bats - WIP Photos

Remember that project I pulled out back at the beginning of the year that was a UFO... well it remained mostly a UFO the last 8 months... and then I finally told myself to just work on it and get the darn thing done!
So I've been forcing myself to work on "Counting Bats" from Just Nan. I couldn't figure out why I hated this project so much, give it's on a great purple dyed fabric, with silks and a Just Nan. But I think I've finally figured it out. There are two reasons:
1) I really hate the Weeks Dye Works fabric it's on. the color is perfect! BUT... it's really course, not soft at all and a bit uneven in the weave. so it's a real pain to work on!
2) Backstitching... ugh there is a lot of extra detail on this Just Nan, and it's mostly the spiders I hate (I think).

So not my fave piece, but that's okay. Once it's done then I won't feel bad that it cost me more than $100 to kit it up b/c of the silks.

So here she be to date, I've very close (working from bottom to top as per my usual backwards way). There is a header above #1 with a lovely moon and bats (I'm looking forward to that part) and some more 1 over 1 lettering that says "Counting Bats".


There are still beads and some embellishments to put on once I have the top layer done as well. 
Again I'll just be happy to say I finished this one just to get it out of the WIP/UFO bag and justify the amount spent so many years ago. 


In other news: Been fairly sick (again!). Got some sort of flu bug or food poisoning. On day 3 since got really sick and already mostly bounced back so at least it was quick (though nasty). I think I need to look at using my immune essential oils again as since I stopped using them a few months back (no real reason just stopped...) I've been a lot more sick. So back to the nightly regime I go. Damn compromised immune systems due to other health concerns. 

I just got the new Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue (digitally) and printed off a bunch of great new ornament patterns for Christmas. As usual I'll likely only get one or two done but it's something I suppose. Look for those in the near future as starts. 
Dragons has not progressed at all! (I know bad). I've having a hard time motivating myself to start the second last page as it has the Dragon head in the corner I start from and it's all scales, which means confetti nightmare (again). But I am going to start on it before the end of the month (my goal) and hopefully that will get it rolling along.

Hope you're all doing well and Happy Stitching! 

23 comments:

Claudette497 said...

It looks great ! I hope you feel better soon.

Linda said...

It looks great Mel. Don't give up.

Linda

Lyn said...

I have always loved the projects you do. I completely understand about the not wanting to stitch a project on what seems like or is uneven fabric. Looking back, I believe that is why I never finished my elephants. Was just too much to try and make it look right...

Joy said...

I oogled over the ornament issue too....but I'm in the midst of the busiest part of student teaching. Haven't touched the needle lately.

Annette-California said...

Counting Bats is really looking great. I know the stiff linen is a challenge but OH MY - Looks fantastic in your photos! So sorry to hear you've been ill. Hope you do feel better soon.
love Annette

Magiczny Świat Krzyżyków said...

Świetny wzór. Bardzo lubię Halloweenowe motywy. Pozdrawiam.

Rachel said...

Your WIP looks great and I wouldn't have known how much you disliked it if you hadn't mentioned it. Feel proud about your perseverance - many others would have swept it under the carpet by now! Hope you're feeling better soon. :)

Neilteil said...

It looks lovely. I hope it's not too much of a drag to finish :)

Susan said...

Hope you're feeling much better. Counting Bats is very cute, but sorry it's giving you such fits. I haven't used WDW fabric yet, love their colors, but not encouraged about it being stiff.

Unknown said...

Love our Halloween project. Aren't there just one or two that we start out on and just really don't like and can't wait to finish!

Mama Dog said...

I hope you are feeling much better now. Your project came out great. Congratulations on finishing it.

Tiffstitch said...

I hope you feel better soon, and you're so close to finishing this one, you can do it!

I haven't signed up the JCS digital edition yet. I should just do it already since I love that mag.

Miamina said...

Hope you are feeling better now. been under the weather myself so I know how it feels!

Counting Bats may be a pain but it does look stunning. The fabric is beautiful and the design so colourful! I look forward to seeing it finished :)

KimM said...

Oh WOW! Your stitching project is AWESOME!!!! I sure hope you're better soon - take care.
hugs
xxx

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm sorry you are not enjoying yourself stitching Counting Bats, but let me tell you that the result is abslutely smashing and worth it! And totally different from every other Just Nan I've seen so far as well. YOu'll be done soon though, so don't give up!

Emma/Itzy said...

Its looking good! I just hate that, when you see a project *must* have it, kit it up then you start...and you just don't get along with it...urgh :(

EvalinaMaria said...

I think I should visit your blog more often and challenge you to work on dragons. I miss our stitching marathons. How about this weekend? Can we do some stitching?
We just bought a house in BC, I'm packing like crazy because our closing date is October 15th but I can manage to stitch some.

Thoeria said...

Oh wow! Looking at your Bats it's difficult to understand why you would dislike working on it....it looks amazing! But I guess having to work with a course fabric can be rather off putting. Looking forward to seeing it all done :)

Sally said...

Keep going Mel, you'll soon have it finished.

Sorry to hear you've been ill again. Hope you're feeling much better.

Faith... said...

I love your Just Nan piece and think it looks great. Hope you are feeling better by now - food poisoning is the worst!

Brigitte said...

That's a great project and you should really stay with it in spite of the stiff fabric.

Bekca said...

I'm sorry to hear you've been poorly Mel, hopefully you feel much better now. Your Just Nan piece is beautiful, it will be wonderful when it's all finished.
Best wishes.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Sorry you're not enjoying this as much as you should do! But well done on persevering with it. I love the colours and the design but then I am a huge JN fan!