Monday, October 9, 2017

Book Review: Return to your Skin


Title: Return to Your Skin 

Author: Luz Gabas

Genre: Fiction 

Rating: 1 out of 5 stars


Did Not Finish (DNF) @ 27% 


Nothing in the world will make it okay for our leading lady to make out with mystery man only a couple kilometres from where her husband is catching up on work (because he spent time with her he didn't have). Just no. 

This reads a bit like Outlander (but nowhere near as good) in that there is trashy romantic moments, next to historical lore, next to literary devices. And while the writing is good enough; it feels a little like Lux Gabas wanted to span too many genres and be serious yet a romance novel at the same time. While it can be done, it's tough and Return to your Skin doesn't seem to achieve it. 


I was relatively bored from the get-go. Even the Wiccan ritual was described in a boring and unmoving way. How can you not make witchcraft/magic boring?! 

However, the facts of Wicca I read are correct and laid out in an acceptable manner. For many people (myself included) Wicca (a branch of Paganism) is not a mystery but our actual religion. Through Wicca I found my link to deities an the earth. 

It's possible that this will happen for our lead lady. That seems to be what is being foreshadowed. And yet I still couldn't care. 


Incredibly dull and not worth picking up for any reason I can think of. 


Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Wow, that's quite a strong opinion - I don't think I've ever seen you so 'upset' (for lack of a better word) about any of your DNFs! From what you describe, I can kind of understand it, though...does not sound like a fun book at all!