Monday, February 11, 2019

Book Review: Rogue Protocol

Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)Rogue Protocol by Martha Wells

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

There is something about an androgynous (even though I think of Murderbot as a she and will refer to her this way in this review) snarky robot that can kill in an instant but has an obsession with serial shows that are essentially soap operas (as far as I can tell). Snarky Murderbot returns in this third installment of Martha Wells novellas as Murderbot works to gather more information about the illicit mining activities she was involved in before a mind-wipe made her forget.

Snarky
I can't tell you how awesome the sarcastic, frustrated and impatient comments Murderbot says amuse me. Many of them point out obvious human flaws that we are all aware we do. Or just make fun of humans as being bad at security and making poor decisions. We humans make decisions based on feelings; whereas Murderbot decides based on rational and probability.

I Miss ART
If you've read book 2 you know what I'm talking about. There is a cute little 'pet bot' encountered in Rogue Protocol. Her name is Miki and she shows the ability for humans and robots to bond like a human to a pet/animal. But she's a little child with not a lot of knowledge. This makes her significantly different from ART in book 2 who was just as quick and knowledgeable as Murderbot.

Overall
I just love these cute little books. I don't know if it's partially the knowledge that they are an relatively easy read (especially for science fiction) or that they are only ~150 pages or that they are just that amusing. Either way I'm thrilled to have gotten to visit this universe that Wells has carefully crafted.

Follow me on Goodreads...

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

You've really been flying through these! I've been stepping around the first one (which is only 2,50€ on kindle) but I think I might like to own physical copies of this series after all...