Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Book Review: Justice League vs. Suicide Squad

Justice League vs. Suicide Squad by Joshua Williamson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


As a Harley Quinn fan I don't follow Justice League (JL); but of course follow Suicide Squad (SS). I was very excited to see my beloved villains/anti-heroes go head-to-head with the righteously annoying JL. Sadly that is not exactly what I got here. While we get some fighting between the two groups; mostly the story centers around a totally different group that is causing trouble for everyone.

Plot
What is most interesting in this large story (each comic had an extended page count in this collection) is that all powerful Amanda Waller didn't have complete control every moment of this story line. It was also nice to see Batman appreciate any help, regardless of where it comes from.
There are some side stories with the Lanterns and other characters I don't know very well. But they have asterisks to tell you "for more go to XXX comic" or aren't intrusive enough that I felt left out of the main plot and story.

Memorable Moments
There are a lot, and I mean a lot of 'moments' in this series between characters that are cute. And (besides Batman) there is no one 'stand-out' character. When you get this many well-known DC characters in one room it's difficult to give them each a piece of time to appease the fans. Considering the scope of the book I thought Joshua Williamson did a decent job of trying to give everyone, from both JL and SS, some time in the spotlight.

Harley Quinn
At the very least my girl Harley and Wonder Woman had an adorable little moment (with a throwback to Harley's Little Black Book edition with Wonder Woman) that I won't soon forget. This is also an interesting crossover comment as the Harley in Black Book is assumed to be the non-SS Harley (herself in her title comics). This does raise (for the millionth time) my question about how we have two Harley's in the DC canon universe that are clearly not the same person... that said if you read White Knight (which I HIGHLY recommend) you'll find out that maybe there is a way this is all possible.
At any rate DC keeps me on my toes following Harley around in her adventures and crossovers.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.
Second note: I do also own this trade paperback and the individual comics because I collect all things Harley. :)


Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh man, I really need to get into comics more. It sounds like so much fun, but is also really intimidating to start, especially with the 'big' universes like Marvel and DC. There are a few collections on Prime reading now, though, so maybe I'll see if I can get something interesting :D