Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Book Review: Manhattan Beach


Manhattan BeachManhattan Beach 
by Jennifer Egan
My rating: 2 of 5 stars


A slow, lagging, literary read. I had to take breaks to read other books during this time to get to the end. The first 60% or so was fascinating and I loved our leading lady; but the latter half was mostly about her father on merchant ships during the war (snore). It quickly lost my interest and it became a slog to get to the end. Not near as good as A Visit from the Goon Squad. Infinitely too long and boring at times, and lacking real excitement throughout.
I have been putting off writing a full review for Manhattan Beach as I feel so meh about it. The longer I want the harder it gets to even remember what the book was about; never mind what I liked and disliked about it. So I'm going to say this: go read Jennifer Egan's other book. Pass this one by and save yourself some bored page flipping and grief.
I'm down grading my star rating to 2 stars as there clearly wasn't too much to take away from Manhattan Beach in the end.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

So...good job making it through, I guess? Sorry to hear it was so disappointing :(