Thursday, June 21, 2012

Lizzie Kate Finishes! (and BIG news)

Hello, hello. I'm late, I know. I've really got to stop promising things on here that just don't happen. Well they always happen just not usually when I say they will. And you all forgive me which is why I keep coming back. :)

Big news... will be at the bottom of this post so that anyone who only wants to read about stitching can do so and then fly away.

So... dragons, is in progress. I'm not even at 1/3 of the page, I got sidetracked and these cute Lizzie Kates are why! I realized that these little inspirational snippets that Lizzie Kate released recently would fit nicely in a 4x6 frame on 32 ct. So a-stashing I went to find colours and within one night each (about 4-5 hours each) I had them complete! I started with "Create":

In this next one I just adore the thread I used in the world Dream. It's by Threadworx. First time I've used their thread, and won't be the last, it was great to work with and so pretty! Here is Dream:

Both these items are looking for new homes and available on my Etsy store. I am planning on doing up some more of the words, I think next to kit up is 'Remember'. My partner and I have been randomly picking words, he made a game of it. :)

I have some other starts and things that I will share after the weekend. It's a busy one for us as we are traveling to a wedding for the weekend, but I'm hoping to sneak in some good stitching and bracelet making time.


Okay... the big news:  I HAVE A NEW JOB! 
are you confused thinking "geez Mel, we didn't even know you were looking". Neither did I until a few weeks ago. It happened crazy fast.
Here's the thing; as many of you know and have been on the journey that is life with me, for a few years it's been a rough go since my surgery in 2010. As I've tried to stay a designer and work in the fast-paced, demanding environment of magazines it has continued to burn me out. I've been thinking of moving careers for some time, and so I just decided to do it. With the blessing of my partner of course. I am going to be putting out one more magazine with my current company, and then I will be moving July 9th to the new position. It is an administration position, on a team (yeah!) with an oil and gas company. For those not aware oil and gas is the lifeblood of my city Calgary and as we've decided to make our home here I figured it was the most logical move. Money is better, lots of jobs usually available (occasional busts but just had one so likely good for a bit) and I grew up on oil money as my parents both work in so why not carry on the tradition. Most importantly no more crazy overtime, weekend work, 2am at the office to make a deadline, or pressure to come up with 10 creative ideas in an hour. I am super excited about an 8-5 Mon-Fri position that will allow me to spend more time making things, selling things and enjoying life in general. I think it's gonna be awesome!

Thanks for reading this far if you did. :)
I'll be back next week with lots more goodies that I'm working on.

19 comments:

Cindy said...

Congratulations on the new job. You will be so much happier without all the stress.
The words are beautiful. Can't wait to see the next one.
We used to drive through Calgary all the time when I was a kid on our way to visit my mom's family in Rimby. Beautiful city

dulcinella said...

The design is beautiful! Congrats on the new job. It will be great!

Linda M said...

Congratulations on your finishes and on your new job.

Denise SA said...

Well done on the beautiful finishes and congratulations on your new job

Courtney said...

I just wanted to point out that you missed the 'm' in "Dream"! It says "Drean" - I hope you can fix it!

-Courtney

Emily in NC said...

Great finishes and congrats on the new job. Glad it will allow you more time to relax and just be.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new job and hope you can fix the word in your picture and they are cute.

Marl

Veronica said...

Congratulations on your new job. Really happy for you :D Create and Dream looks awesome.

Hugs,
Veronica.

Diane (di) said...

Congratulations on your new job Mel... love that you are going to have more time to do the things that truly make you happy. :)

Create and Dream are simply gorgeous!

Heather said...

Congratulations on the new job! It sounds like an excellent new opportunity. Best of luck!

Create and Dream look great. I love those Lizzie*Kate designs.

RhondaWoman71 said...

love the stitching & CONGRATS!!!!! on the new job

dixiesamplar said...

Awesome news...best of luck with the new job, Mel!

Love the LK designs, too cute.

Bine said...

Love the Lizzy Kate's :)
Congratulations on the new job!!! It will be so great to work those regular hours and oil and gas pay well :) That's good for stash enhancement LOL I hope you will enjoy it.

Katrien said...

congrats on the job!!
nice finishes

mab3500 said...

Congratulations on your new job!
Beautiful stitches too.
I hope it is everything you want.

Bekca said...

Congratulations on your new job! It sounds like you've made a sensible decision to improve your life on your own terms, and I think that's great!
Wonderful stitching too, I do love Lizzie Kate designs :)
Best wishes.

Nancy M said...

Congrats on the new job and I agree about the Threadworks thread. It's a great value too!

Meari said...

Congrats on your new job, Mel.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Wonderful job on the LK's I stitched those as one long banner.

Congratulations on the job!!!!