Saturday, April 28, 2018

Book Review: Daughters in the Air

Title: Daughter in the Air 

Author: Anca L. Szilagyi

Genre: Teen, YA, Contemporary

Rating: 1 out of 5 stars 


Did Not Finish (DNF) @ 35% 


Through the opening 35% of Daughters in the Air that I read, I kept hoping that I would be drawn in by something, anything really. So many reviewers have praised this novel, and yet I just couldn’t feel any real connection or compassion for any of the characters. That includes our lead teen who runs away. 


Each chapter swaps between her in the current time, as she is running away, and her past time, when her father left and her relationship with her mother deteriorates. I can honestly say I don’t care the reason why the father was suddenly no longer able to return, why her mother was such a bitch or even why our lead gal was so naive to think she could just runaway with little to no resources and hope that people would help her out. It’s baffling to me in some ways that I didn’t care about our lead gal and her plight as it seems like all the right elements are there but the story and characters slogged along for me at a snail pace. Enough so that I fell asleep while trying to reading Daughters in the Air on more than one occasion. 


Perhaps there is an amazing ending or story to be found here but I couldn’t get into it and can honestly say I’m okay never finding out. 

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

2 comments:

barbara woods said...

Hate to start a book and find It doesn't get interesting

Leonore Winterer said...

Boo on disappointing books! But to be honest, even the blurb doesn't sound that exciting to begin with...