Monday, May 25, 2020

Book Review: I Can Catch a Monster

I Can Catch a Monster by Bethan Woollvin

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Adorable! Big illustrations, easy to read text, and a plot that sees a little girl besting her two brothers (although not in the way you might expect. This is perfect for a girl that has brothers who pick on her or any child that feels like they are bullied. Little Bo proves that she's brave; not only in her actions, but also in her ability to understand that what might seem like a monster might not be one after all.

The Kraken is my favourite of the 'monsters', although most children will likely gravitate to the dragon. I do like that there is the option of three creatures that a child has to choose from as their favourite.

An easily accessible children's book that has a nice simple feel to it. This comes from the use of only 3 colours, plus black (used across different shades so it feels like more colours), in my opinion; but also from the easy to read and understand text. A great book for a child starting out to read or one that might be likely to memorize lines or words (especially that ROAR! page, always fun with toddlers).

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, this one sounds like fun!