Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Wedding Quadrielle Finished!

It came out okay! Yep I'm talking about the scary Sweetheart Tree Wedding Quadrielle that I made.
I didn't kill anything or anyone, and it made it through in one piece and actually looks like it's supposed to. There were a few touch and go moments of wanting to kill it as I stitched up the seams but everyone survived. (in case you haven't figured it out yet I hate to finish things into ornaments etc. and I'm not a pro at it either).

The linen and threads used are the ones in the kit (they are DMC colours and a lovely linen to work with). ST does make great kits that are more or less ready to go. I had to pick up some interfacing for support and stuffing for the middle, but that was it. (I apologize in advance for the poorly lit pictures. Also a note that the names have been photoshopped out for my friends protection. (pictures can be clicked on to view larger versions)
So without further ado here it is. The complete Wedding Quadrielle from Sweetheart Tree:




So what made this project a bit tough:
• see all those lovely looking vines for the leaves that is all backstitch/running stitch and is a pain to count out. I may love counted cross stitch but I'm not really a 'counter'. More of a fill-in person (hence why I love HAEDs so much).
• You must be sure that your outlines are the right number (I counted four times I think) or the piece will not match up when you go to put it together
• It is over one for the names and text in the middle areas, not too hard just be prepared to potentially need your magnifying glass
• Putting the thing together is a bit of a trial if you're not really a seam person. However it doesn't require a sewing machine I put it together all by hand.
• My hands got cramped working on the seams and pushing through all the layers. In the future with a piece like this I would not try to get it all put together in 2 nights I would spread it out over a few more so that my hands don't get trashed (like they did) and move onto other stitchy things when one side is done for the break on the hands.

Things I learned from this project: 
• I can put things together I just have to be prepared to read the instructions a few times over to make sure I get it.
• Slowly but surely is a good thing when putting together items you can't rush it and hope to have an even seam
• If you put the beads on after the interfacing (like the pattern suggests) it really does help your beads stay a lot more secure. I'm almost tempted to put interfacing on the backs of all my beaded stitching pieces now that I know that.
• If you don't like what they do change it. In the original pattern it calls for twisted cord for the hanger, I hate making twisted cord and was on my own without a partner to help. So I just made a thin little Kumihimo 'bracelet' up and put it on instead. Just used the left over colours from the piece (and some Kreniek 1/8" ribbon to sparkle it up)


I know these are super intimidating for people, which is why I thought I'd give you my overview to help. They are not as hard as they look, not by a long shot. But you have to believe you can do, read the instructions lots and if you are getting frustrated with it put it down. That can be the most important thing to remember in crafting sometimes if it's not working out put it down and come back to it later.

I hope this helps give you an idea of the complexity of the project and maybe make you more likely to pick up one of those patterns you just love but think is too hard. It's never too hard if you want to make it work you can. :)

I have a number of items that will be going up on my store as soon as I have some time to get some white background pics. There is a new cross stitch itty bitty and some new bracelets as well. That will be next post. I'm also working on the baby sampler again, and have a new start. Another little kit, this time from Lizzie Kate! 

Thanks for visiting, commenting and overall making my day. *hugs* to you all!

21 comments:

Kari @ The Purple Quiltapotamus said...

Oh wow - you did a great job!

Vicky L said...

WOW! The wedding quadrielle came out gorgeous! You did a wonderful job and love the braiding for the hanger. Your tips are very helpful. Congratulations!

Meari said...

Congrats on finishing it, Mel. It turned out really good.

Deb said...

I think that it came out wonderful!! Congratulations! I admire anyone that can put things like that together. I'm too chicken to even try!

Deborah said...

The piece is beautiful and you did a great job of putting it together.

Unknown said...

I really like the way the wedding Q. turned out very beautiful

mdgtjulie said...

I'm so impressed. I could never put something like that together. I'm not good with seams and that sort of thing, and I can never get them to look right!! Grats to you on a gorgeous finish. (I love the Kumihimo cord too. It's lovely. I can't do it, but I have a friend that does. She made me a cool bracelet!)

Denise SA said...

it looks beautiful i am sure the happy couple will love it

Nancy M said...

Your finish looks great and I know exactly where you are coming from. I don't like making biscornus for the same reason. I don't like counting the backstitching outline to put the 2 pieces together. Funny how we love counted xs, but not COUNTING! LOL

Claudette497 said...

It looks beautiful! Congratulations!

mab3500 said...

OOOH Pretty! You did a wonderful job on it.

lenna said...

Lots of work went into this and the ones in 2011. Nice work and they all turned out to be so beautiful. I really like your work! Congratulations on all you have accomplished!!! It was a pleasure to look at all you gorgeous work!
God Bless ~
Lenna

Heather said...

I think it turned out fabulous! And thanks for providing so many comments about it. I just might give one of these kits a try now.

Lyn said...

It looks wonderful! Excellent job!

Anonymous said...

Great job! You did very well. Judi in Phx

Anonymous said...

You did a great job and it is beautiful.

Marl

Sandy In Montana said...

Congratulations on your finish, Mel. It is absolutely gorgeous.

Take Care & Happy Stitchin'
Hugs, Sandy

Brigitte said...

A great finish, Mel. Congratulations. And I think your detailed instructions will be a great help for other stitchers who intend to stitch and finish a similar project.

Katrien said...

you did an awesome job, congrats!

Maureen said...

what a fantastic piece - I know how you feel re finishing, it is not my forte at all.

Unknown said...

Wow, very beautiful! Congrats on finishing it!