Saturday, July 8, 2017

Book Review: Shadow Fall


Title: Shadow Fall

Author: Audrey Grey

Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Dystopian

Rating: 1 out of 5 stars


Did Not Finish (DNF) @ 33%


I just can't do it. I love elaborate novels. Especially fantasy ones but you have to be able to write them in a way that keeps your reader engaged and aware. If too much happens and too many info dumps are supposed to 'explain things' then readers get frustrated, bored or detached.


In addition to there being too much all at once there is also not a single moment in this book that felt unique or it's own. A death match. Giant impact about to hit the earth. Girl whose a nobody but is 'chosen'. Looking to save a sibling. Caste society separated by colours. Etc, etc, etc. 


It's like Audrey Grey couldn't decide what elements of which books she liked best so she used ALL OF THEM. And in the end it's a jumbled mess of nothing. 


I'm super disappointed as this book sounded really cool. And taking what's been done and putting a new spin on it is what stories are all about. Sadly there is no new spin here, just a mish-mash of everything into one. 


Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

2 comments:

deb said...

Oh my. And this one was on my radar as that might be interesting and fun to read.

Not sure if you're the same way, but I *really* try to finish what I start reading, so if I mark something down as DNF, it's pretty bad....

Leonore Winterer said...

That does not sound good at all :( Some people seem to like it, though. Maybe tastes just differ...