Saturday, July 1, 2017

Book Review: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe


Title: Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Book 1)  

Author: Benjamin Alire Saenez 

Genre: Teen, YA, Coming of Age 

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars


This is a story about two boys who at fifteen are just living their lives. There's no real plot, however, a few things happen that are very realistic and engaging until the end. 

The only reason Aristotle and Dante doesn't get five stars from me is the ending. There is a significant event or moment that I just have a hard time accepting as likely. It's especially hard to swallow given how honest and realistic most of the rest of the book is. 


I love the writing sooo very much. It's compelling and feels like a fifteen year old wrote it that has a decent handle on the English language. (Lol). 


As always I won't talk specifics or spoilers but besides the end that I found ridiculous there is also a few moments were people seem to heal or handle situations way better than should be physically possible. So be forewarned that there are some little things that might annoy. 


At the end of the day Aristotle and Dante is a beautiful story of two teenage boys and an unlikely, but perfect friendship. It touches on why loners are usually loners, gay relationships, bullying/violence amoungst teens, ethnicity/identity, separation and above all else love. 


I would highly recommend this for anyone to read as I think there are lessons or reminders that adults can benefit from here as well. 


PS: I'm kinda disappointed there is a sequel as I feel like it's better to not know more of the story... will be interesting to see how that plays out I suppose.

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

I had to laugh at the title. Sounds like a lovely book, though.