Monday, May 15, 2017

Book Review: Crown of Ice

  

Title: Crown of Ice 

Author: Vicki L. Weavil

Genre: Young Adult Fantasy 

Rating: 1 out of 5 stars - did not finish


DNF @ 35% 


I hate to not finish books but I honestly couldn't handle another I this, I that, you this, you that sentence. And that's all there was in this book! 


This is a cute little story of a Snow Queen trying to save herself by putting together a magical mirror that was once broken. It's obvious there are twists, world building, magic and more characters to come in this first book of a series; but I just couldn't handle the writing style any longer. Not only is it juvenile but extremely repetitive. Young adult books do not need to read as though they are for five year olds. Give teens and kids some credit; they can understand a book that doesn't tell us every little thing. 


Aside from the language the lack of showing bugged me in Crown of Ice. Every silly thing was described by our main gal and her POV. I know that wolves are loyal to a daily to their leader. I didn't need to be told once, though am okay with mentioning it once; I certainly didn't need to be told four times in 15 pages about the loyalty of a wolf. Onwards the progression of the story and characters went. 


Very stilted dialogue, unoriginal descriptions and the lack of understanding of how to write well in first person turned me off. From page 1 I had a feeling the style of writing was going to frustrate me, sadly I was correct. 


There might be something here that resembles a good story; I just couldn't hack through anymore "I" statements to get there. 


For this review and more visit my new book review blog at: <a href="http://epicstitching.blogspot.ca/search/label/reading?m=1">Epic Reading</a>


<I>Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review. Don't believe me? Check out the other books I've had eARCs for that I gave great or poor reviews to. I always give my opinion whether good or bad.</I>

2 comments:

cucki said...

Awesome
Thank you x

Leonore Winterer said...

Ugh...I can tolerate plot holes when the writing is intriguing, and mediocre writing for an enchanting story. Bad writing and a mediocre story? I'd probably have given up as well...