Friday, May 26, 2017

Book Review: Waking Giants

 Title: Waking Gods (Book 2 of Themis Files)
Author: Sylvain Neuval
Genre: Science Fiction
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

So I was beyond stoked to get an eARC of Waking Gods and prioritized it to be ready within a week or two of approval. And I certainly wasn't wrong to be so hyped as this book was AWESOME! 


The first 30 pages is slightly dull as it's ten years since the end of Sleeping Giants and so we spend some time catching up with everyone (after the opening chapter gives us the 'hook' to stay interested). I'm not a very good binge reader as I can't sit still for 3+ hours at a time; but given the opportunity I think I could binge Waking Gods as it's that fast paced! 


Not only does Waking Giant keep you engaged but it also keeps you guessing and ensures you understand that no one is safe. There are always victims of war and Sylvain Neuval keeps the realism flowing by ensuring that on one character is sacred or safe. 


At about the 75% point an 'ah-ha' moment is revealed that once explained I felt dumb for not figuring it out! Even though it's a vastly complex theory, but that's how well Neuval can explain intricate scientific concepts. His ability to explain complex science reminds me of Michael Crichton's skill to bring science down to palatable, digestible explanations for us non-science folks. I'm so glad that someone today has this special talent. 


I think for me part of what makes Waking Gods, and the Themis series to date, so compelling; is that it's based in plausible truth. This is something many fantasy and science fiction books don't do well. The more relatable the scenarios the easier it is to be caught up in the story. I have no doubt that the average reader will easily follow all along. 


I could go on and on about how amazing this book is. But instead let me say, read it! Start with book 1 as this is a series that must be read in order. 

I intentionally say little about plot or situations as I don't want to spoil any of the amazing moments in this wonderfully written novel. 


Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

2 comments:

Leonore Winterer said...

I think I already have the first book on my wish list, but it's good to know that the second one did not let you down :)

Sheila said...

Great review! I agree with your appreciation for Neuvel's expertise in science and being able to translate his knowledge to the average reader. This is such an interesting series!