Monday, May 22, 2017

Book Review: Girl out of Water

 Title: Girl out of Water
Author: Laura Silverman
Genre: Young Adult, Coming of Age
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

This is a very realistic and fair portrayal of what it's like to be a teen torn from their home for a summer they didn't expect. The dialogue, thoughts and actions of Anise, our lead gal, are genuine and honest. This is not a girl who is perfect and selfless; this is a teen girl who is bitter and confused but also sensitive and caring. I found myself relating to many of the things Anise said or did. All things I thought or did as a teen. 

I believe Anise is a teen much like many of us were (or are). Selfish at times, but not because she doesn't care but because life is hard and being a teen is even harder. 


The love interest in Girl out of Water is probably the most frustrating part. While I like him, he's a little too perfect. I would have liked to see him have some vulnerable moments and share times when he's struggled. With the love interest being a little more realistic there might be a fifth star for this book, but as it is I just can't rate it next to Judy Blume's Tiger Eyes at five stars. That said, this is a solid four star read. 


This is not a book where the plot moves the story forward; in fact there is very little plot. Instead this is a character development book focuses on Anise and her 'coming of age' story. I didn't have a problem with it and felt it had just enough of everything. 


I would recommend this book for anyone that enjoys average teens doing average things for stories. Or anyone who is struggling with leaving to go somewhere. This is an excellent story to gift to a teen that is moving homes, being forced on a vacation they don't want to go on or anyone that is struggling with change. 


Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review. Don't believe me? Check out the other books I've had eARCs for that I gave great or poor reviews to. I always give my opinion whether good or bad.

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Another interesting sounding book! Fun fact, good reads seems to know about three books with that exact title...but you make it sound like the content is more original!