Sunday, May 28, 2017

Book Review: Lady Mechanika

 Title: Lady Mechanika (Vol 1. The Mystery of the Mechanical  Corpse)
Author: Joe Benitez 
Genre: Comics, Streampunk, Science Fiction
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

I can't tell you how awesome it is to finally read a full Lady Mechanika series!! Started in 2010 this series never got a fair publishing shot as it was infrequent and never completed. Kudos to Joe Benitez for never letting this series and character fall into oblivion. 


For those who are not big comic fans let me assure you while these are comics there is a lot of story here. This set of 6 comics probably has more writing than a full 50 comic run of any other superhero comic you can think of. The art is rich and beautiful, the mystery is intricate and who doesn't love steampunk!! 


If you love The Lunar Chronicles (Cinder, book 1) then I believe you will love this story (and hey sometimes pretty pictures are a great break from dense reading). 

For those who already love comics Lady Mechanika deserves to stand next to other leading ladies series like Dawn, Vampirella, Withblade and more! 


I highly recommend this series if you love fantasy, science fiction or steampunk , even if it's your first foray into comics, it's a solid choice. 


<I>Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.</I> I actually own the individual comics in this series as they are gorgeous and a variant features one of my fave artists Franchesco! 

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

I never really got into comics because I find the genre a bit intimidating - so many big, long running series, often tightly interwoven, so where do you start? Maybe I'll give this a shot, I'd really like to find out if I do like comics or not :)