Thursday, September 24, 2009

An update

Well it has been a bit of a crazy week.
We are starting to get very busy at the office. But the overtime will start again after Canadian Thanksgiving (Oct 12 for my US friends). And then it will be crazy until the end of November.

I am trying to get all my ducks in a row with personal stuff and stitching before then of course. I'd love to have the ducky done for my friend by then... but three weeks just doesn't seem doable so I'll have to stick with my Xmas deadline on that one.

I did get some great news this morning. My LNS has my Counting Bats by Just Nan in! I ordered this as soon as I got it. So I'm hoping that after a "work schmooze" event tonight I can get there before they close to pick it up.
But I will try, try, try to resist the temptation to start it before the ducky is done.
I am also contemplating starting my Mirabilia "Circle of Friends" too. I have to pick which one of them to start as I'm only allowed to start one.
Opinions?


I also have a bit of a dilema that I have to make a decision about. A group that I used to volunteer for (but had a bit of a falling out with) has flipped management and the new guy in charge is two of my best friends Dad. He has asked four of us (his two kids and two others of us that were actively involved in the past) to organize an event for him. It would, of course be, volunteer. And the event runs for a weekend and has a scavenger hunt and such.
I can't decide if I want to say yes or no. I'm inclined to say no but not really sure how to go about it... I think the others will say yes (one already confirmed). But I am a bit nervous now that I've gotten back to feeling better and the like that I don't want to take on any unnecessary stress.
But at the same time I feel selfish if I turn them down. The reality is that the event is ALOT of work. And will take up lots of precious stitching nights (see the selfishness coming out again...). So I'm trying to decide what to do. And if I do decline how do so graciously...
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks to all for entering my giveaway and for commenting on all my posts. You're all so awesome! :)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

There is a name for people like us -- ORD, Overly Responsible Depressive. As someone who spends a lot of time volunteering, I know how hard it is to say "No". But if you say "OK" to everything that comes along you come to resent the activity rather than take pleasure in the joy of helping people. Only you can decided the level of volunteering that makes you happy and not overstressed. But don't feel bad for saying, "No".

Deb said...

I agree with the comment above, Being one of those people that voluteered until she couldn't volunteer any more say that you should look at what is best for yourself. If you're feeling better now and don't want to get stressed out, there is nothing wrong of thinking of yourself and how stressed you will over it. If you don't take care of yourself, no one else will. There will always be more opportunities out there to help out.

tkdquintmom said...

I have my Counting Bats too! Love it....I would stick to my guns and say no also. You can only do so much...

Nancy M said...

I would have to go with your guy instinct and say no to volunteering. If you say yes and don't want to do it, you will regret your decision. I say start circle of friends!

Carolyn NC said...

I'm with Nancy - go with the Circle of Friends! Sometimes you have to give yourself permission to just say no when it might not be good for you. Good luck! :)

Brigitte said...

Don't feel selfish when you say no. Only you can decide on what you can take on. I'm with Nancy, too.

Rene la Frog said...

Love the new projects. I'm been looking at "Bats" and think I'm going to have to do that one but it will be a while.

Meari said...

I know you already turned down the volunteer opportunity... If you felt it was too much, then you did the right thing in declining.