Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Book Review: King Mouse

King MouseKing Mouse by Cary Fagan

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This story has the illustrations and feel of an old children's book. From the pencil drawings with no bright colours to the use of animals as the characters to the simplicity of the moral. It reminded me of stories that starred Peter Rabbit, Mr Toad, and others. So many of those stories were found by me in the 1980's in my Grandmother's farm house. They were on faded pages and had more complex phrases than I might have been used to at age 5; but I loved them all the same. In some ways I think I loved them because they were old and felt special. As much as I love the rainbow, bright, colourful stories of today; there is something about that old school look and feel that I will always be in love with.

The question becomes whether or not children today (in 2019) will find this vintage style story engaging enough. It seems to me that those children that love reading, old things and asking continuous questions are likely to enjoy this one. In fact you might find out if your child is an old soul just by reading them this book. And if they don't like it; then it's perfect for your own bookshelf to be read on those sleepless nights.

I am definitely going to try and find a copy of King Mouse to add it to my visiting children's library/toy box as I would look forward to this simple story (that has a snake in it!! awesome!) and it's gorgeous illustrations every time a child picks it up.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, this looks so sweet! I love old style children's books.