Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Book Review: Words in my Hands

The Words in My Hands
by Asphyxia
5 out of 5 stars 


I’m at a loss for words to describe this book. Which is perhaps the truest irony and beauty, all at once, given that The Words in my Hands leading gal is Deaf.
During this book I have learned so many new things! And while knowing a tiny bit of ASL (American Sign Language) I definitely didn’t really appreciate the isolation of being deaf and left out of… well everything. Author Asphyxia describes living Deaf as only someone who has experienced it can. She herself is Deaf.

My husband knows some ASL as he used it as a toddler/child before he could speak, and worked with a lovely Deaf gal who he translated for as often and best as he could. He continues to have interest in sign language. After reading this book we are talking about learning more of it together. This could be helpful for me if I get anxious and need to suddenly leave. I could tell him from afar that I’m either okay and need space; or that I want to leave. In the past we have used signals or code words; but I love the idea of using a real language to do this in the future. And with any luck someone Deaf will see us use ASL and know they can approach us.

The learnings in this story are complex and interwoven. From the Deaf experience and community lessons, to how to build a garden and create compost, to an extremely food scarce future; Asphyxia takes the reader on a journey unlike any other I’ve ever read. A huge part of this is the amazingly beautiful pages in the print novel. This is one of those rare instances where you MUST READ THE BOOK IN PRINT. On an e-reader (I did see what it looks like) or as an audiobook an entire facet of communicating how our lead gal feels and emotes is lost. Without the dark pages of her despair and frustration, the sunny delight of flowery pages, or the intensity of her protest drawings; I truly believe you would miss an entire component of the story, and most importantly, the character progression of our leading gal.

There is a cute little romance in this. While often not my favourite part of most teen novels this one is less annoying and more realistic than most. Asphyxia does a good job of not exaggerating or over doing the romance, despair, lust and possible love at any given time.

I could go on and on about the friendships, other relationships (Deaf and oral), adults to teens, kids to teens, etc that are so well portrayed in The Words in my Hands; but honestly I’ll never do Justice to the beauty and complexity of emotions Asphyxia shares with us as the readers.

Pick this book up. Be amazed and intrigued by it. Learn from it. Consider your own green footprint on the world (and where your food comes from). Consider your methods of communication and what they mean to you. Consider how important community and inclusivity are. Above all else consider that every one of us, regardless of disability, race, sexuality, age, or other minority distinguishing aspects are all people. And people all want to be loved and included every day.

Thank you Asphyxia for sharing this story, your experiences, and pieces of you from within the novel with us, the readers. This is a book I will never be able to forget. A true gem.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, this one sounds amazing, thanks for sharing your review! And thanks for the headsup with the printed copy, I'll make sure to pick one up some time.