Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Finish... that Glows!

Well I had a finish on the weekend... that I'm fairly excited about.
It's just the little moon mirror, but here is what is cool about it... I added some glow-in-the-darks to it and it turned out really cool (at least in my opinion).

Here it is on it's own:



And here it is with it glowing in the dark (huge thanks to my B/F for figuring out how to take this picture):


Edit to this post at 2:30pm... my man came up with this neat animation so I thought I would post it into here so you could see...


And of course with any good finish comes a new start!
And as it's been snowing here (which is uncommon for this time of year) since thursday it seems appropriate that I decided I had to get my Christmas stitching going... I am stitching two Button Up Ornaments. One for my Mom (the snowman) and one for my Grandma (the stocking). They both have made ornaments for years for us kids and my tree is covered in them... so I wanted to return the favour.
Here is my tiny start on the snowman (and yes I did get the thread pack so I have lovely silks to stitch with for these, so great!):


And here is what they will both look like in the end:


I do hope others are keeping warm and not getting as snowed in as we are!
I have also made some good progress on dragons in the past few days and will have an update of them soon! (at this rate I may *knock on wood* actually make my deadline for page 4 on this one, so exciting).

Thanks for visiting

24 comments:

Rene la Frog said...

WOW that finish is just AWESOME. You enabler you, now I just have to get some of the glow in the dark threads.

Looking forward to seeing your progress on the ornaments, I LOVE working with silks and think they give such a beautiful finish.

Anonymous said...

That is FANTASTIC! Great Job!!! I am sorry you got snowed in. Hey, you do have more stitching time :) Looking forward to the ornaments finish.

Katrien said...

That finish is very cool.
Looking forward to see the ornaments finished

Meari said...

What a neat project, Mel. The annimation didn't work for me, though. I have some of those GITD threads, but have never used them. Your ornies will be adorable when finished :)

Anonymous said...

Ooooo....purdy....

That B/F of yours does amazing photographs, and very cute little animations. You're a very lucky girl to have such an amazing, awe inspiring man in your life. He really is the best guy in the world isn't he? :)

Daffycat said...

That's really cool, Mel! Your guy is purty clever!

Lobe your new start, those ornaments are really darling!

Emily in NC said...

That glow in the dark is so cool.

Lisa F. said...

Nice finish, Mel! I bought some glow-in-the-dark floss for a project about 3 years ago (!!!) and haven't started it yet! You've inspired me to dig it out and get crackin'! I love the animation...your BF is very talented!

Mel said...

Alright... my blog comments got hacked. ;)
By the B/F as Anonymous.. it's one of those don't pay attention to the man behind the curtain moments. :)

Gabi said...

Great finish. Congrats on that. Love the animated picture.
LOL @ your amazing awe inspiring and what else b/f.

Sandy In Montana said...

Great finish, Mel. Congratulations!!!

Unknown said...

Its ab fab! Love it!

Silverlotus said...

I stitched the moon mirror ealrier this year. I wish I had thought to use glow-in-the-dark threads. Maybe I will have to stitch it again. :-) I'm sure I could gift the one I've already finished.

Thanks for the great idea!

Nancy M said...

Nice animation....he must be a wonder!! Just added that since he must like reading your comments! I used GITD once for a Halloween project..don't know what became of it! Your ornaments are cute and they will really appreciate them since they started it all!

Alberta said...

Wow...that's the first glow in the dark project I've seen! Love it.

Thanks for stopping by my BHHH blog...I know about the Calgary snow...was there over the weekend and am returning to visit the family later today. Do you think it'll melt by then?lol

5 Foot Runt said...

Very cool. I really like that. It's something it wouldn't normally expect. Great job!

Anonymous said...

That is FANTASTIC!! Love the animation to show how it will look in the dark...so clever! smiles, alicia in Hawaii

Cindy's Stitching said...

That is so cool. I really like it.

Maxine said...

Love that finish Mel, it's great the way it really does glow. I wasn't sure before seeing this just how much this sort of thread would actually glow. I hope you get back to the dragon soon I so want to see an update :)

Carol said...

Love the eyeball ...... oops sorry moon :) Glow in the dark is definitely interesting.

tkdquintmom said...

Ok now THAT is cool...so please do share...how did you take that glow in the dark pic? I have my Skeleton Crew that I did with glow in the dark threads and I would LOVE to take their pics and show the difference...spill the beans...:P

Siobhán said...

Beautiful finish, Mel! That's really neat. Great new start, too!

Carolyn NC said...

Cool finish and start!

Anonymous said...

@ tkdquintmom:
This is Mels b/f;
to do the glow-in-the-dark photo, I set my tripod over top of the piece, aimed at the piece on the floor. set my focus, and opened my aperature nice and wide to allow as much light in as possible. Hit the lights, and used a remote shutter release to open the camera shutter. I left it open for 2 - 3 mintues to fully capture the light.

If you don't have a remote shutter release, you can set your camera to shutter priority (SP), provided it's not a point and shoot, and most cameras will allow for up to a 30 second shutter speed. follow the same steps, hit the lights, open your shutter, but be very careful not to bump or shake the camera. (and don't turn the lights back on until your sure the shutter has closed).

:)