Saturday, July 14, 2012

New job, finishes & stuff


Alright, my online presence slumped for a few weeks while I sorted out some personal things. Let's start with some stitching and then if you care you can read the personal stuff at the bottom. And if you don't you can browse on. 

I've been loving going into my stash to "shop" and doing up little pieces for sale on my store. 
Here are the latest cross stitch finishes.
First up a Lizzie Kate on 28 ct linen with oversees threads (as called for in chart):
This is another itty bitty by Keslyn. I adore this colour!! It's by Weeks Dye Works. I might keep this one when it's finished up, not sure yet:

I did also start my Mirabilia South Seas Mermaid. I'm missing a few colors of DMC so need to get those ordered in or stop by Michaels to pick them up. But I can work around the colors I need. I also have the beads on order right now so looking forward to seeing all the colors (this piece is full of beads) when they arrive. Because I use scroll rods all stitching will be done first and then beading. The tiny start:
 
Lots of new bracelets always going up on my store. I don't list them all here as it's too much. And this blog is about stitching not really jewelry and selling. I don't want you to all feel spammed!

Personal stuff:
The good news is that I've been at my new job a week and I really like it. Lots to learn and stuff but it's all processes and black/white rules. No more arguing over colors/placement etc. so far I have not missed design at all. The processes are fairly easy and there is always some sort of busy work to do. Even if it's as mundane as filing. I don't mind because it fills the day and I feel like I did something when I leave. The office is very nice (though subzero with the A/C on) and I have my own office two days a week (well it's always mine but 3 days a week I sit at reception up front) which is nice and I can have music. Thank goodness! I couldn't live without it.
Other good news is that the baby that I did the Just Nan Sampler for has arrived! She's adorable and so precious. But big, at 8pds, 3oz she's nearly the right size to start crawling, lol. Great fun for my uncle and his wife, and while the little one is technically my cousin I suspect I will turn into an aunt.
Bad news: I wasn't able to leave my old job at the magazine on good terms. They made it very difficult and I felt very bullied do I walked in the end. It was too bad and I have some guilt about it but I know it was for my best interests. And at the end of the day it doesn't matter at all now with the new job up and running. Hopefully I can leave it behind forever soon.
Other annoying news: We had a flood happen at our apartment while we were sleeping the other day. Our toilet bowl randomly cracked. Had a real mess to clean up as it had dropped to our main floor from the second. So it's gross and smelly and stuff. Just a real pain. Doesn't appear to be lots of damage to personal items so far but we did call insurance to give them a heads up as my beautiful rosewood piano (electric) got lots of water on it. It appears to be fine but I'm waiting to make sure the wood doesn't warp, or the electrical dies. Luckily no stitching stuff was hurt, water got close to dragons and other projects in the works but didn't touch it, now that would be a true disaster and nightmare.

Otherwise I'm just trying to settle into my new job. Stay less stressed, fill etsy orders (which is fun) and find some time to work on dragons!! I'm going to makes self work on dragons this weekend it's been neglected far, far too long. 

I hope your all well. There will be a giveaway for some "vintage" patterns soon. (I think calling things from the 80s vintage is silly but everyone seems to do it. I figure if it's younger than me (30) it's not vintage!)

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I am happy to hear your new job is going well. I just started a new job too, and the first week is daunting.

I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't leave your old job on good terms, but if your job isn't making you happy and you don't need to do it, there's no point in staying.

I hope you can get your flood issues sorted, and hope your piano will keep working.

Good luck with the lovely stitching!

Emily in NC said...

Glad you like you new job, sorry leaving the old one was made hard for you. Love your finishes. So yucky about the toilet cracking, sounds just horrid, but glad that personal items were not damaged.

Linda M said...

Your stitching is beautiful. I love the Keslyn design and the thread you used. What color is it?

Good luck with the new job - glad to hear it's working out.

EvalinaMaria said...

Oh dear Mel, congrats on the new job! As for the old one - don't look back, past is a past, closed chapter. Sorry about the stinky flooding. Thank goodness there wasn't much damage. Your stitching is lovely, I really like colours of the second one, by Keslyn. So bright and cheerful!

lesli said...

Congrats on the new job!! Glad to hear you're starting off right :)
Sorry to hear about how you were forced to leave your old job....hopefully as time goes on the new job and it's greatness will help you forget about how you had to leave.
Love your finished pieces, so bright and colorful!

htimcj said...

I am glad that you like your new job and that the flood didn't seem to harm too much stuff. Your stitching looks great!
Heidi-ILCS

Lyn said...

Glad your new job is doing well. I so understand the feeling bullied at work! A job that I had until spring 2006 was that way for me. Long story. Not for here. Just know I understand.

Your finishes look great!

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your new job and try to forget the old one as it will make you stress out.

Lovely stitching and sorry about the toilet bowl cracking.

Marl

Katrien said...

I'm happy you're new job is working out so well for you. Not so good about the flood.
Your work looks lovely

Heather said...

My goodness! You sure have had an exciting time, both good and bad. I hope life calms down a little bit, and I am so glad you like your new job. :D

Shebafudge said...

Sorry I'm so behind. Congratulations on the new job and I'm glad you are enjoying it so far.

Eurghhhh to the toilet but good that it missed stitching stuff.

Shelleen said...

Glad that you like your new job and to bad for the old job. Obviously you weren't getting what you needed from them if you got a new job.
Your finishes are nice and can't wait to see more progress on the mermaid. Looked at your etsy shop and you have beautiful pieces.

Brigitte said...

It's great to read that you love your new job. So you will soon forget all the nasty things that made you leave your old job and that accompanied you until your last day there.
Two nice little finishes.