Sunday, February 17, 2019

Craft Book Review: Hand Sewing Magic

Hand Sewing Magic: Essential Know-How for Hand Stitching--Master Tension and Other Techniques * With Pro Tips, Tricks, and Troubleshooting * 10 Easy, Creative ProjectsHand Sewing Magic: Essential Know-How for Hand Stitching--Master Tension and Other Techniques * With Pro Tips, Tricks, and Troubleshooting * 10 Easy, Creative Projects by Lynn Krawczyk

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A gorgeous instructional book. Let's break it down to the different areas:

Supplies
The first 30 ages of this gorgeous book are all about what you can use, should use and will be using in order to do hand sewing (otherwise know as stitching or embroidery). In Hand Sewing Magic most of the designs and stitches are known to me as embroidery, pulled thread or specialty stitches. There is a lot of benefit that could come from this book to cross stitchers looking to get into more elaborate stitching pieces (ie: Just Nan, Jeanette Douglas Designs, Victoria Sampler etc.) and of course to those getting into embroidery or canvas work. I really liked that the sample threads were well known brands and materials that most crafters would be familiar with.

Projects
The initial projects are cute and super easy to do. I really like that many have a practical application and aren't just stitching for aesthetic or art intention. Additionally there are no 'patterns' to follow. Instead you can see the stitch and colours chosen in the model but certainly you don't have to follow them or even consider them in your final piece. The projects are more about creating something and you filling in your own designs based on the type of stitches you just learned or whatever you may prefer. There are some templates for the larger or more complex pieces but these are really just the outline to draw on your piece before you fill it in with stitches.

Stitching Diagrams
The photographs are beautiful in this book; they are bright, detailed and clear. I had a little trouble with some where you grab or loop the thread around the needle but the others were easy enough to understand. I think my new favourite stitch is the Burden stitching. I had not seen this one before and not only did I enjoy trying it out but also I love the way it looks! Needleweaving and the cast-on stitches were others I enjoyed learning for the first time. Most of the ones I didn't know were 'dimensional' stitches that create more of a 3-D look. This makes sense as I am a cross stitcher which is very traditional and so these were more modern stitches I've not seen before.

Pro Tips & Variations
Throughout the book are little pro tips that talk about taking the work, project or stitch to the next level. These are generally to try and expand your thoughts on what are possible. I really liked the one on up-cycling items (i.e.: adding stitches to change the look of an old pillow).
There are also variation pictures for each stitch learned at the end of the instructions. These given you an idea of how you can convert and change the stitch to your own taste. And really show the creativity that can be incorporated in unique pieces.

Overall
I'm still not ready to give up my linen and even weaves and their square format with clear holes to move to the embroidery freedom shown in Hand Sewing Magic. But there are definitely stitches I learned here and could see using in the future in variations or modifications I make to existing patterns; or in creation of my own pieces. Certainly if I ever do canvas work again these stitches will have been very valuable to learn. And who knows maybe one day I'll be willing to move away from my linen and even weave into a more free flowing environment for stitching.

This is a great reference for new stitchers or new to embroidery projects. Otherwise, as with many crafting instruction books, it's a perfect library pick-up for a couple of weeks to get inspired and perhaps even do a project or two from.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads...


1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

It sounds like the cover picture isn't a really good choice...it looks so simple and basic, I certainly would not expect something like needle weaving or cast-on stitches.
I'm really not good with this kind of 'free-flow' embroidery, but I admire those who can do it!