Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Book Review: Orphaned Voices

Orphaned VoicesOrphaned Voices by Adam Thielen

DNF @ 30%
I’m not star rating as I feel the writing itself is good. It’s just the cohesiveness that is lacking.
Essentially I just don’t get it. The writing of one of the many storylines followed in Orphaned Voices is really good and I wish I could have just read about our pirate crew and their rogue human (it has a Firefly feel). But all the other stories feel random and disjointed. I literally can’t figure out the timeline or even how the stories are in the same universe. Maybe because they are separated by hundreds or thousands of years? I’m not sure.
What I do know is there is potential here in the style and format of Adam Thielen’s writing. It’s just been lost in a story too complex or poorly put together. The whole Side A, Side B piece of telling two stories is clever; but I still want to know their relationship to one another. It actually feels like reading two totally different novels at the same time. This just doesn’t work for me.
I hope that Thielen can find a way to put his stories together in a better context than Orphaned Voices for the future as I see some great science fiction ideas and tones coming from him. But for me this one is just a flop.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley and the author via BookSirens. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Ah man...it does sound cool, but also confusing. I'm putting it on my internal 'maybe' list, but I'm afraid that with my disconnected 'five books at a time' reading I'd be even more lost than you were!