Saturday, January 4, 2020

Stitching: Brooke's Books Ornament Finish

I finished two whole stitched item in 2019 (ABC Sampler) and this piece that I started on Dec 3. How sad is that? (LOL) 
I have a cousin who is 7 years old and her family lives in the same city as me. Most of my family doesn't live where I do. As I'm (obviously) much older than her she often refers to me as Auntie Mel. Along with many other amazing children that I get to be Auntie to without a family/blood connection. 
This year I decided I wanted to do a 'fancy' ornament up for her. As I'm a terrible finisher I decided to do a perforated paper ornament that could then be layered and assembled. I love Brooke's ornaments as they use beads, Krenik, ribbon, etc. but are easy to stitch up and put together. For those new to these supplies perforated paper is the perfect way to learn to use any of these supplies for the first time. 
I really wanted to have her name on it somewhere and so as I was flipping through Christmas ornament patterns I had I came across this Brooke's one from a Just Cross Stitch ornament magazine. The four stocking's made me realize that my cousin's name, Evie, is also four letters. I then giggled when I saw that the original word 'give' has all the letters from her name in it! Clearly this was a sign. So in my version below the stockings make up her name. I also changed a couple of the colours just because of what I had on hand for supplies. 
I'm really pleased with my glue gun skills (lol) to put this together. Each stocking, ribbon, and the kitty are attached to the larger figure. Here she is in all her glory:  



Normally I would commit to stitching more, blogging more, or some other thing here based on the date; but let's not fool ourselves into believing any of those things are going to happen even if I try to commit to them. So I'll casually be trying to stitch and post more... I did make a list of things I'd like to give more 'attention' to and one of the is posting here (and responding to a fellow stitcher and reader Leonore!) more often. Another is trying to avoid the trap of cell phone games and social media so I spend my time in a more meaningful way. 

3 comments:

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh she is lovely! I really want to do one of these paper-persons (haha) sometime and even think I have a pattern somewhere for one...hm. Well done! I'm sure we'd all love to see more stitching updates from you, but live is live and I know you do what you can :)

Kaisievic said...

What a gorgeous gift for your young cousin - I bet she adored it.

Hazel said...

Such a pretty finish. x