Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Book Review: Hollow Dolls

Hollow Dolls
by MarcyKate Connolly
My rating: 1 of 5 stars


DNF at 15%
Well I'm super disappointed. I didn't realize this book wasn't it's own series. One of the reasons is that the blurb promoting it says:
" brand new series starter "... liars!

Instead this is a direct(?) continuation of a previous duology. It appears to star some of the same characters or at least comes on the back of the events in the Shadow Weaver duology immediately. I am not a fan of reading series out of order; and given that there is sooo much back story here to explain in order to really know what is happening from the get go; I've decided that I'm not going to go any further.

It really annoys me when trilogies are done this way. It's much better to break things up like Mortal Instruments did. As long as we were with our same crew of teens it was books #1-6. When the Clockwork series came along, in a different time span and with different characters, it had it's own numbering of 1-3 AND it was toted as a prequel trilogy. This is respectful of the reader and makes life much easier for those of us (whom I think are the majority) that want to read series in order. 

Now I know publishers aren't generally a fan of the long series as it requires people to get in at the beginning; and maybe people are overwhelmed by starting a series with 3+ books in it. Hence the desire to stay with duologies and trilogies. This however is not me. My favourite genre is fantasy and so to me a series with many books in it is good, because I won't run out of content, and hopefully it's close to being complete (as nothing in publishing annoys me more than series that never get finished. Yes GRRM, it's literally all your fault).

If this premise intrigues you and you want to dive into MarcyKate Connolly's intriguing sound world, pick-up the first book of the first trilogy called Shadow Weaver. I've put the first book on my giant TBR list, but this experience means it's unlikely to get to the top anytime soon. Sad because the overall premise is super interesting.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

I so get you on this :( I want to start in the beginning, not halfway through!