Sunday, July 5, 2020

Book Review: Look for Ladybug in Ocean City

Look for Ladybug in Ocean City
by Katherina Manolessou
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Who doesn't love search and find books?
Even today I still love to look through a well illustrated seek and find book. Of course it's always more fun with a kid by my side these days. These pages are wonderfully colourful with whimsical illustrations. There is a real story here (which is unusual for a search and find book) that really allows this book to be used again, even after the child has found everything. Never mind were you to try and name all the aquatic animals drawn on each page. I know I'd be hard pressed to; but they do all look like they are based off real fish or aquatic mammals (there are otters that show up a couple times I love).
On each page there are little phrases or words in the illustrations, for example: way up, way down, eye tests, chill out and more. This is a great way to have a little one practice reading a bit; without them needing to read the entire story blurb on the page and getting overwhelmed.
We also visit many fun, and a couple not so fun but needed, locations along the way including the dentist, theater, a gorgeous museum (I want the two-sided head sea serpent on display!), and, my personal favourite, a garden maze!
There is a list of items to find at the beginning of the book (including ladybug of course) and then throughout the story blurbs there are phrases in all-caps that indicate they are to be found. For example: crab on a swing, portrait of a fish with a pearl earring, shrimp looking in the mirror, starfish with seven arms, etc. These are fun in that they aren't just an object for a child to find but in fact are often 'actions' inside the still illustration. So not only do you need to know the aquatic animal doing the item (ie: fish, octopus, crab, etc.) you have to know where something is or what something is. So to find 'penguin with a basket of ice pops' you need to know what a penguin looks like, what a bucket is, and probably what ice pops are. And yes there are tricks! On the page to find the penguin I saw at least four other penguins doing things like: eating ice cream, drinking coffee, walking, etc. So it's not as easy as just find the animal.
Don't worry parents for those who aren't so great at these, or have impatient children, there is a key at the back. Now if you're child is anything like my 8-year-old niece then you'll get in big trouble (like I did) for 'cheating' and looking at the answers. LOL

Overall I really liked this book. I love that it's a real story of 'detectives' looking for ladybug and it has an adorable twist at the end of the story. I also love finding things! So it's a double whammy and well worth the cost of getting this one in a nice hardcover that will last. Some of my favourite books from when I was a child are the search and find ones that helped me learn to read. It's too bad this one wasn't published many (okay yes a lot of) years earlier.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Oh, this one looks like great fun!