Saturday, February 6, 2021

Book Review: Legendborn

Legendborn
by Tracy Deonn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Even though I loved this book; I didn't write a review right away. It was almost like there was so much to unpack and talk about here I didn't know where to start. Now it's been over a month since I read it and while many things are still crystal clear in my mind (because that is how good this story is); a lot of it has faded some. So I'm going to be more general than usual in this review.

Arthurian Legend
Tracy Deonn herself has admitted to a lot of influence from Arthurian legend. And it's obvious once you start to read this that she has intentionally used it to make her story feel familiar; yet different. These days I am not a huge fan of Arthurian legend being used as the basis for any fantasy world or idea. I got over dosed with it as a kid/teen (I'm 38 right now) and, regardless of Marion Zimmer Bradley's politics and personal opinions, my Arthur and his fellows is in Mists of Avalon. Therefore I was not excited to read more Arthur legend based stories.
However, Deonn has changed this enough that it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I still wish she'd just made up her own heroes and lore instead; but I do understand that the Arthur construct is easier to use and people are already familiar with it so it requires less explaining. All that said I still rolled my eyes when Excalibur came on the scene. Not only is it over the top and just outrageous; but it's also a catalyst for the story (sigh).

Themes
What isn't in this book? There are strong themes of grief and coping, oppression and slavery, teenage angst (including an almost love triangle), and then the overall construct of magic is also a commentary on power. My favourite part of the fantasy elements in this story is the magic. It costs practitioners and isn't infinite. I also really adore the struggles of one of both the main boys that are put in positions of "power" that they may or may not want. Each wrestles with the idea of duty, commitment, and wanting the ability to have more freedom and make their own choices. This is a reminder that not all chains are actual chains.

Own Voices Perspective
There is one huge take away from Legendborn that I do not think will ever leave me, or I hope it doesn't. Our lead gal is a black girl attending a historic college. Upon on entering the historic main building she thinks to herself that it's weird to be proud to be there as a black girl; but also to feel awkward knowing slaves built it. As a white woman I will confess I have never thought of this conundrum before. You want to be proud to be one of so few from your race or culture to 'make it' somewhere; and yet feel bad that you are benefiting from being somewhere that would have used slaves for labour.
THIS is really what own voices is all about in my opinion. Deonn takes a typical feeling of pride that many of us would have to attend a historic college and strips it away in one sentence. And she's absolutely right; we cherish our ancient buildings and monuments (the pyramids are a prime example) even though we know they were built by those being oppressed.
I don't have a solution for this conundrum; and I do love, love old things, especially buildings. But it is worth seriously thinking and remembering each time we enter an ancient/old place that someone likely shed blood and freedom for the place to exist at all.

Overall
Legendborn surprised me in a number of ways. I didn’t love everything about it but for a YA fantasy it’s top notch. Right up there with Bridget Kemmerer as a new YA fantasy author to stay with.
If nothing else it brought me out of a big time 2020 reading slump for which I am very grateful. I look forward to following Bree, the boys, and the creepy adults in the next installment of the Legendborn series.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

I remember when you were reading this, I quickly snatched it up as it was on sale and you seemed to be enjoying it! It does sound like a fun read.