Monday, February 1, 2021

Book Review: Fantastic Hope

Fantastic Hope 
by Laurell K. Hamilton
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Given today’s current pandemic situation these are paranormal short stories many of us might need right now. The outcome of each story is positive in some way. For many of these authors this is a unique ending as they tend to have things go badly more often than not in their stories.
Here’s some comments for each story:

Story #1 - Twilight Falls (Joe Ledger): by Jonathan Maberry
Everyone by now knows Maberry is a superb writer. His quick paced action, witty characters, and subtle plot twists always amuse. This short story is no different. Great ending that questions who the “bad guys” really are.

Story #2 - Not in this Lifetime: by Sharon Shinn
Well wow! In such a short story I want to know every characters story and hear about it all. Really well done and established.

Story #3 - Mr. Positive, the Eternal Optimist: by Larry Correia
Absolutely hilarious! This legit made me smile.
So far this set of stories is exactly as advertised and the perfect compilation to help dissipate some of the awfulness of 2020.

Story #4 - No Greater Love: by Kacey Ezell
Based on a Mormon folktale this story has the heart, courage, and ferocity of the wolves discussed within it.

Story #5 - Broken Son: by Griffin Barber
This could easily be expanded into a full novel; if not an on-going series. It starts off simple enough with a criminal on trial and by the end we are in space, dealing with neuropsychology, and contemplating other life’s existence. An easy 5 stars.

Story #6 - Heart of Clay by Kevin J. Anderson
I swear Kevin J. Anderson and I are like the same personality through and through. I always love his writing, his dry-ish humour is like my own, and he comes up with unique, creative, yet relatable stories that I love.
This one is no different; a short story set in his Dan Shamble PI series. A great intro to this series or to Anderson's writing.

Story #7 - Reprise by John G. Harris
This story is set in an existing world, Quincy Harker, that is intriguing (as it’s based on Dracula). Unfortunately the story itself felt too ‘thrown-in’ for me. I didn’t have any connection with the characters and felt like I was reading a personal story I shouldn’t be. It was awkward in the end as I don’t know the characters.

Story #8 - Asil and the Not-Date by Patricia Briggs
Classic and typical Briggs story. But I don’t mind that at all as you know exactly what you are getting into.
I really like this Asil and may need to look up which of her series he stars in.

Story #9 - In the Dust by Robert E. Hampson
An adorable story about a couple trying to preserve history on their moon colony.

Story #10 - Fallen by L. E. Modesittt, Jr.
Ugh. A bit much for wording and explanations. Got bored quickly.

Story #11 - Working Conditions by Patrick M. Tracy
This is a story about something I’ve longer been intrigued by since a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode as a kid. If you had a terminal illness and could be saved by becoming a vampire, would you choose that life over none at all?
This is an interesting perspective on that question.

Story #12 - Last Contact by M. C. Sumner
Brilliant! A great take on aliens visiting earth.

Story #13 - Ronin by William McCaskey
Oh wow... that may be one of the most moving short stories I have read in a very long time. I actually forgot all these stories were supposed to have happy endings as I was sure it would go another way as I read.
A magical teddy bear helps a dad and his daughter in their dreams, and real life. The dad has PTSD from a war and isn’t doing well... *shivers*

Story #14 - Skjolfmodir by Michael Z. Williamson and Jessica Schlenker
This is a widely known, old story written from the perspective of the mother of ‘the monster’. Poor Grendel whom; in this version of the tale, didn’t deserve what happened.
“But if they sing of him for a thousand years, they must also sing of me.”

Story #15 - Bonds of Love and Duty by Monalisa Foster
I liked this one and really wanted a lot more of it than we got. This is a solid idea that could easily be expanded into a full novel.

Story # 16 - Zombie Dreams (Anita Blake) by Laurell K. Hamilton
I started to read this and then realized I’m about four books behind in this series and there might be spoilers. So I’ve skipped past it just in case.

Overall
I highly recommend this set of stories. If not to find some new authors or series to try out; but just to lift your spirits a little in the dark days of early 2021 we are living in.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

I'm torn...on the one hand, yes, please, more good endings and positive energy! On the other hand, doesn't it take away from the story to know they are all going to end well? Hmm.