Saturday, March 27, 2021

Book Review: A Vow so Bold and Deadly

A Vow So Bold and Deadly (Cursebreakers, #3)A Vow So Bold and Deadly 
by Brigid Kemmerer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


At 38 years old you’d think I’d have gotten past devoted, unconditional love stories. Brigid Kemmerer has reminded me that I haven’t. And maybe it’s because for 12+ years I’ve had my Grey/Rhen next to me; so I know love exists. Or maybe it’s because the 16 year old version of me is bawling her eyes out at how poignant and amazing these characters and their stories are. Either way I’m glad to still be able to enter a fantasy world made for teens and fall in love with it.

My personal notes:
- As a lover of Grey, from early in book 1, I can honestly say that his character progression is lovely. And I love him even more after every page I flipped
- Rhen and Harper still annoy me... in the last half of the book I got over it without even realizing it until I was at the end. Lol
- Noah and Jake are adorable and I wish there was so much more of them
- Virginity is lost! It’s YA rated but still pretty steamy
- Blood is spilled. Like a lot of blood. And yes I loved that too. Give me a tortured soul any day
- Beauty and the Beast has never been my favourite story. But this series is proof it can be done without it seeming totally inappropriate or wrong. I’m impressed.

If you’d read the first two books then you don’t need me to tell you to read this. Just know that the ending is lovely. And as someone who hates most endings it’s nice to smile and put this third book down, content with where we are at.
Although already dreading the possibility of a follow-up series... because I’m paranoid to touch good things in case they get messed up. However, as Kemmerer points out to us many times during this series, you cannot gain anything without risking something as well.

There are many lovely lines and adages to take to heart in this last book of the Cursebreaker series; but I think my favourite one is this one; because in real life people make mistakes and we hurt one another. Trust is always so hard to gain; and yet easily lost. Kemmerer reminds us to give others a break sometimes; as we need one ourselves at times:
”One choice shouldn’t undo a thousand good ones.”

Excuse me while I go kiss my husband and thank him for all our wonderful years together; and all those to come. Don’t forget to love those around you openly and unabashedly. Just as Rhen and Grey do their ladies.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Sometimes reading about young love makes me wish to be a teenager in love again, but then I remember all the drama that usually comes with that and I am very glad to be more at the 'happy end' stage of life! Doesn't stop me from madly crushing on some fictional characters, though.