Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Book Review: Seeking an Aurora

Seeking an Aurora 
by Elizabeth Pulford
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Having seen the Aurora Borealis as a teenager, I can tell you that few things I’ve ever seen or heard are quite like it. The crackling sound, the vibrant light that radiates from the sky, the sheer size of it all happening on a cold winter’s night.

Seeking an Aurora is clever in that it doesn’t define if it’s the northern or southern Aurora that our boy and his father are seeing. While written and illustrated by an Australian we can assume she intended it to be south; but it works just as well for the northern hemisphere.

I wouldn’t have thought there was a colour palette in the world that could show the glimmering light on the dark night sky of the Aurora. I was wrong. The pastels that are used here are brilliant. The page is obviously coloured in black or deep purples and blues; then our characters and the Aurora blended overtop (I think anyways) and it pops so well. I adore the look and feel of the pages in this enchanting children’s book.

A perfect before bedtime story for any little one. The kind of book that a child might keep long into their adult years because it’s beautiful and feels like it is imparting a secret of the Earth to the reader.

I hope to one day see the Aurora borealis again. I live almost far enough north in Canada; but inside a city too large to see them well if they are seen this far south. In the meantime this book is a gorgeous representation of the solar winds and the truly glorious colours they bring to our sky.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Wow, I'm a little jealous you got to see that in person!