Thursday, September 1, 2022

Book Review: The Deep

The Deep
by Rivers Solomon
My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I can honestly say I do not really get what everyone sees as so great about this novella/short story (about 200 pages). I know Rivers Solomon is an amazing writer. Don't take my critique of this story as a criticism towards them. The ideas here are so good and smart; but the execution didn't do it for me. Or maybe it was just the main character I couldn't stand. I'm not sure; but either way I was disappointed.

For the first half of this book I was only mildly intrigued. Which is odd given that it's mermaids with unique backstory and way of narrating their own history. There are definitely overtones here that reference how awful occupation of another race, area, country, etc. can be and certainly comments on colonialism throughout. But at the end of the day I was kind of put off by the constant whining of our leading mermaid. I think Solomon did this on purpose; but I also think it was done a bit unfairly. You see I read 100 pages and think 'gosh this leading mermaid is a diva and annoying'. I then think 'why didn't she do xyz, or abc, or blah blah blah'. Only 20 pages later to find out they did. But it felt like too little, too late to me.

Unlike some novellas I wasn't able to read this in one sitting. Which might, maybe have changed things; but I have to stand by my belief that books need to be read at whatever pace is best for the reader. So arguing it has to be read quickly in one sitting doesn't sit comfortably for me. It just felt like I found out far too late enough about our leading mermaid to understand their frustrations, to recognize their trauma, and to really feel for them. Those that would argue that we should take all traumatic stories on faith would perhaps tell me I am a part of the problem that we don't believe people in real life and look for 'proof' where there may be none except the word of one person. And you may have a good point. I am someone who struggles sometimes to really understand why people make some of the decisions they make. Although I am getting better (I hope) and starting to recognize that fear is a leading factor. All that said, I really think that in fiction we should be providing enough context about a lead character to allow the readers to empathically understand them fairly quickly.

So while the last half of The Deep justifies the first half. I'm still not a huge fan. Although if you need a novella or short story to write an essay or book report on this is a great choice! There are sooo many critical comments and comparisons made to today's world (and our own fraught history) that any number of topics could be pulled out from it. My personal favourite was that the mermaids have no gender. If you know or follow River Solomon you will also appreciate why that is awesome. And also recognize how well it's explained (or not explained) in The Deep.

All that said, the origin of where the ideas for The Deep came from and the evolution they have undergone over the years are AMAZING! Don't miss the afterward as it's got some critical info in it that helps explain some of the story.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Aw, I'm a little disappointed to read your review of this. This book has been on my list for ages, and I always felt kind of excited about it. Maybe some day I can compare notes, but knowing you didn't enjoy it doesn't bode well!