Friday, March 24, 2023

Book Review: The Girl the Sea Gave Back


The Girl the Sea Gave Back 
by Adrienne Young
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


3 1/2 stars, maybe 4... I'm rounding up to 4 stars because the first book is SOOO good. While Adrienne Young does a fine job in The Girl The Sea Gave Back it just lacks something that Sky in the Deep had. It's a very similar premise in that we have a warrior girl whose just existing and trying to get by. Young gives us a lot more battle, fighting descriptions, and overall bloodiness in this one. I'm not sure it really adds anything to the plot or characterization; but if you like that sort of thing then it's there for you. For those that are less keen on it, you can absolutely skim the fighting descriptions in 90% of the instances (not that I condone that; just saying you can get by them without too much detailed thought or reading).

There are some intriguing discussions about fate, destiny, and love. While our characters are all caught up in it and obsessed (to a point) about if their future lover is already set, or if their death is pre-determined; I didn't feel like there was anything really new or special added to this discussion here. Young doesn't really give much of a different perspective on destiny or fate than we've been given in a lot of other books (YA or not). Although I have to remind myself that YA books today are written for teens today; and those teens are unlikely to read the same books I grew up on. So perhaps it's not fair to say there is nothing new here given that a pre-teen (in particular) would likely have a lot of thought and wonder come out of reading this story.

I wish I could give you more of what I think is really here for substance. The reality is that I was quite underwhelmed. Maybe I went in with too high of expectations after Sky in the Deep? Perhaps Sea Gave Back languished too long at the top of my prioritized TBR without being the 'next actual pick'. I'm not sure. All I know is that I felt like it could have been better.

I was given an eARC of this book via NetGalley; but also purchased a print copy for my own library prior to reading it. Therefore you can be assured this is an unbiased review as I still spent my own income on it.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

I don't really remember the first one (or rather your review, I haven't read it myself) but it sounds like this one was slightly disappointing. Second book syndrome? Is there a third one?