Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Book Review: The Woman in the Library

The Woman in the Library 
by Sulari Gentill
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


A story within a story, within another story (in a way). This is a cleverly constructed murder mystery with many overlapping elements that make you think.
Our main POV is quite relatable and realistic; although I’d argue that the others are missing something. But remember I’m a fantasy reader at heart and so expect a lot out of characters that murder mystery stories don’t tend to have. That said this story predicates on the characters personalities and motives quite heavily; so I’d have liked them to feel a bit more ‘real’.
All that to say that the characters lack of realness may also be intentional… confused yet? Yeah me too. Lol. I don’t want to give much away but let’s just say our characters are very fictional.

I enjoyed this and really was taken for the ride up to the last page. The last page irritates me and brings this down to a four-star book. It was completely unnecessary to add in the last couple lines like the author did. I don’t really understand the motive or thought behind it except to create more to talk about in a book club…?
It feels messy, unnecessary, and (for me) took away from the brilliance of the storytelling up to that final moment.
Now again I’m not a big murder mystery, thriller reader. So this is outside my wheelhouse and comfort zone. I liked it; but can’t understand the ending. If the ending was meant to be like the movie Inception, where everyone argues what the final moment is or says; then I suppose I could maybe accept it. For me it didn’t really feel that way. Maybe it’s supposed to take us full circle? I didn’t get that from it personally; but if others do then I can respect that.

If you rarely pickup mysteries I’d say this one is unique enough to be worth reading. If your a lover of the genre this is a must read. Not only for its unique set-up and style; but because it really is a great example of taking a typical genre and stepping it up. Poor last line or not, I cannot deny this is quite the little story and yes I will be recommending it to almost everyone I talk to. But I still refuse to give it five stars… I’ll be mulling this ending for some time I think…

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

I kind of want to read this now just to find out what that last line is...I guess it's working!