Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Book Review: At Midnight (anthology)

At Midnight 
by Dahlia Adler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Really solid. 15 stories inspired by 15 fairy tales. Like with the Poe edition the original story (or a version of it) is at the back of this book. So I read the original and then the retelling.
The biggest downfall here is maybe the selection of which fairy tale original was published. There’s so many versions of these tales and to go back to THE Grimm one (for example) is harder than you think as the Grimm Brothers published many variations of the original stories themselves!
Highly recommend this one for anyone who loves a good fairy tale.

A few notes about each story:
Story #1 - Sugarplum Inspired by The Nutcracker
It has just rung New Year’s 2024 as I write this. It is perhaps ironic that the first story here is about the holiday I just got through.
As our leading gal feels stifled in her Christmas Eve event, so too do I feel (in general) about Christmas.
An excellent little ditty with many nods to the SugarPlum Fairy dance.

Story #2 - In the Forests of the Night by Gita Trelease Inspired by Fitcher’s Bird
I didn’t think I knew this story; but as I got into the original I realized I’ve certainly heard the tiger story before. I just didn’t know the name Fitcher.
The retelling is well-written; but I found the authors blurb more interesting and wished I could hear more of the real tiger that inspired her…

Story #3 - Say my Name by Dahlia Adler Inspired by Rumpelstiltskin
I often forget little there is to the original Rumplestiltskin story. I love the concept, character, & power being in a name.
I can’t help but roll my eyes at the Twilight reference in this retelling. Although, every minute since reading it the idea is growing on me. If power is in a name; then a name can also steal power away…clever

Story #4 - Fire & Rhinestone by Stacey Lee Inspired by The Little Match Girl
Brilliant!!! I adore this one!
It’s smart, clever, and tells of a historical event giving a (fictional) backstory. It also shows the awful treatment of both women and people of colour from that day (and sadly today still).
This book is worth reading if this is the only amazing story; although I’m confident it won’t be.

Story # 5 - Mother’s Mirror by H. E. Edgmon Inspired by Little Snow-White
I LOVED this amazing version of Snow White that focuses on the ‘beauty’ of a trans man. The way this story shows the ‘ugliness’ that the lead character sees when their mother sees a different kind of ugliness is clever. A brilliantly written, accessible transgender story. This should be mandatory reading for everyone!

Story #6 - Sharp as any Thorn by Rory Power Inspired by Sleeping Beauty
While I liked this story, it’s a huge stretch to say it’s inspired by or based on Sleeping Beauty. The entire premise is skewed and makes no sense. The twist ending is great as a story; just not one related to Sleeping Beauty

Story # 7 - Coyote in High-Top Sneakers by Darcie Little Badger Inspired by Puss in Boots
This story is adorable! I’ll confess I don’t really know original Puss in Boots, or even many retellings (besides Shrek’s version, lol) so I can’t say much about its relationship or the original included here. However, I can say that this story was adorable! I just don’t meet enough talking coyotes!

Story # 8 - The Sister Swap by Melissa Alberta; whole new fairy tale)
Interesting to include a non-retelling in a re-telling anthology. Not sure I get why this was done. Regardless the story was fine. Nothing mind blowing; but I did love the gothic masquerade setting!

Story #9 - Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Hafsah Faizal Inspired by Little Red Riding Hood
If it’s possible to fall in love with a character in only a handful of pages then certainly I just did!
I love this leading gal. She’s a Muslim who wears a hijab. This, of course, makes her even more visible and ‘obviously different’ than just being a POC. Great heist-style story. I’d love to read more!

Story #10 - A Flame So Bright by Malinda Lo Inspired by Frau Trude
I’ve always loved a good evil wins tale. I’m sure that puts me in some scary bucket of concerning or crazy but I can’t help but often cheer for the ‘bad guy’.
The pacing and flow of this story is beautiful. It’s truly prose, if not poetry at times. I quite enjoyed this set of stories.
May the witch ever win. ;)

Story #11 - The Emperor and the Eversong by Tracy Deonn Inspired by The Nightingale
Is there anything Deonn cannot make her own and retell better than the original?
Gosh just amazing!!
I can’t say anything else because it would give away too much. Just read this story!!

Story #12 - Hea by Alex London Inspired by Cinderella
I didn’t know I desperately needed Cinderella retold from a flamboyantly gay social media boys perspective! This is adorable and very clever. Kudos to London for keeping it both light and yet still shining a light on what it takes to be a ‘star’ and stay current in social media. I was exhausting just thinking about ‘creating content’.

Story #13 - The Littlest Mermaid by Meredith Russo Inspired by The Little Mermaid
Not for the first time, I question if the version here is the ‘original’ tale from Hans Christian Andersen. It is not the same tale as from a book (the ‘original’ tale?) I had as a child.
Love the trans rep in this retelling! The rest is just okay. It’s a bit too lovey-dovey for me. Overall lacks plot.

Story #15 - Just a Little Bite by Roselle Lim Inspired by Hansel and Gretel
This story is a wild ride!! I love it! Not just because it’s set in Canada during a blizzard (can’t help but love my own setting), but because it’s brutal, doesn’t apologize, plus kids are great. They kind of reminded me of the Winchester brothers. No nonsense, don’t screw with us attitude. Very clever interpretation.

Story #15 - A Story About a Girl by Rebecca Podos Inspired by The Robber Bridegroom
Well this story is okay. But next to the Hansel and Gretel one right before it fails to compare. They should have been swapped around.
I will however give Podos credit for her title being a clever play off a song Nirvana famously covered.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

I like how many different fairytales there are and not just endless repititions of the same three! Reminds me I got a couple anthologies to get to as well.