Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Book Review: The Circus Infinite

The Circus Infinite 
by Khan Wong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I've been struggling to complete a review of this book for (believe it or not) months. It's not that I didn't like it; or that I loved it. It's a good enough read. The kind of thing I'd be pleased to pick-up at a local bookstore if it was curated content (ie: local, POC author, met a monthly theme, etc.); yet it wasn't quite good enough to give five stars. But it's not really fair for me to say that as I can't seem to articulate why it wasn't five start quality.
Upon thinking on this for quite some time I think it maybe comes down to two things:
1) wordsmithing: being able to really pick the exact right word and par your sentences down is a real skill that has to be learned. I think there is a lot that could be cut here; not in plot or characterization, but maybe in the descriptions, set-up, etc.
2) outcomes: I think it wasn't clear what the real outcome Khan Wong had for his readers was. And no I do not think that just to 'have a fun time' is enough to justify a story. There needs to be some meaning, connection, or message that is being developed, portrayed, or told. The Circus Infinite maybe just needs some more finessing to really highlight what the author wants the reader to take away.

Overall this is a good read. Well above the fan fiction 'standard' that has been set, and certainly above most YA trash standards. So if the plot, characters or blub at all intrigue you give it a shot.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

I might give this one a pass. Even with the blurb, I can't really put my finger on it, but it still doesn't excite me.