Chaotic Orbits by Beth Revis
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This trilogy of novellas by Beth Revis, collectively together is the perfect omnibus of fun, science fiction, silly quips, and yet has many severely perilous moments. To say I adore the Chaotic Orbits trilogy is a bit of an understatement. It’s very rare I read books one after another in a series. Generally I spread them out by a few books and/or months to ensure I don’t get bored or tired of the story, setting, or characters. In the case of these ones I was dying to read the next book immediately, and so took the chance reading all three of these stories within one year. And it was the right choice!
Science fiction can be one of those genres that’s very hard for newer readers, or new to sci-fi to break into. There’s a lot of garbage, and a huge variance between the sub genres with hard science, space opera, survival dystopia, and sci-fi horror all sitting at many folks limits of what they are interested in or can handle. Chaotic Orbits has none of these problems. This cozy, humorous, yet deadly series is easily accessible to anyone while still being engaging for the average sci-fi reader (like myself). Be warned, the blurbs may make it seem like there is romance here, it’s very very mild and not a key piece of the final instalment as the synopsis might make you think.
If you enjoy Murderbot, Firefly/Serenity, Automatic Noodles, or Themis series you’ll likely enjoy this series. I’m super glad to see it in this omnibus as my reason for not giving each book individually 5 stars is because it was broken up and feels like a cash grab. A very ironic thing given the anti-capitalist rhetoric throughout by our leading lady. Therefore, this opportunity to get all 3 stories continuously is key. Keep in mind all three novellas together is barely the length of your average book, so it’s not even that big of a time commitment!
I’ll be picking up a copy in this format to add to my print shelf as I could see myself coming back to this one day. Plus the cover art is gorgeous!!
Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.
Follow me on Goodreads
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This trilogy of novellas by Beth Revis, collectively together is the perfect omnibus of fun, science fiction, silly quips, and yet has many severely perilous moments. To say I adore the Chaotic Orbits trilogy is a bit of an understatement. It’s very rare I read books one after another in a series. Generally I spread them out by a few books and/or months to ensure I don’t get bored or tired of the story, setting, or characters. In the case of these ones I was dying to read the next book immediately, and so took the chance reading all three of these stories within one year. And it was the right choice!
Science fiction can be one of those genres that’s very hard for newer readers, or new to sci-fi to break into. There’s a lot of garbage, and a huge variance between the sub genres with hard science, space opera, survival dystopia, and sci-fi horror all sitting at many folks limits of what they are interested in or can handle. Chaotic Orbits has none of these problems. This cozy, humorous, yet deadly series is easily accessible to anyone while still being engaging for the average sci-fi reader (like myself). Be warned, the blurbs may make it seem like there is romance here, it’s very very mild and not a key piece of the final instalment as the synopsis might make you think.
If you enjoy Murderbot, Firefly/Serenity, Automatic Noodles, or Themis series you’ll likely enjoy this series. I’m super glad to see it in this omnibus as my reason for not giving each book individually 5 stars is because it was broken up and feels like a cash grab. A very ironic thing given the anti-capitalist rhetoric throughout by our leading lady. Therefore, this opportunity to get all 3 stories continuously is key. Keep in mind all three novellas together is barely the length of your average book, so it’s not even that big of a time commitment!
I’ll be picking up a copy in this format to add to my print shelf as I could see myself coming back to this one day. Plus the cover art is gorgeous!!
Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.
Follow me on Goodreads
No comments:
Post a Comment