Thursday, November 3, 2022

Book Review: The Monsters We Defy

The Monsters We Defy
by Leslye Penelope
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


The author's note at the end of the book has me amazed at how much of the story (given it's definitely a fantasy novel) is based on true stories. Leslye Penelope has gives the reader a look at African American's lives at a time that most of us white folk (myself included) have little context for. Set in Washington, DC, 1925 at a time of race riots, segregation, and many alive having heard their direct parents stories of time spent as slaves; The Monsters We Defy takes pieces of real history, a true setting, and the disturbing discrimination of the times (much of which is sadly still happening today), throws in a fantasy element; and then takes us on a ride!

Our leading girl's narrative feels so authentic and true. I could feel and hear the distinctly African American culture woven into this book by Penelope at times. Both in the plot, magic, history, setting, and language. As a white Canadian girl I often don't have a good grasp on the difference in tone, slang, etc. that comes with other cultures and POC's communities. I am so grateful to Penelope to allow me some time in this world to experience (if even only a little bit), not only the horrors of segregation and obvious racism, the streets of Washington with our characters (all of whom are African American) battling the forces of evil. Be that in the elemental spirits, the dead 'Over There', or the oppressive and stifling reality of living in white America in 1925. Penelope does this in such a way that it doesn't feel like she is blaming those alive today for the transgressions of the past (for which I am personally grateful); and she adds in a fantasy element that obviously stems from African culture. I loved the way everything was interwoven; but if I stepped back I could see where the fiction and truth collided.

I'm always excited to read Author's Notes as often events or characters are based in truth; and those books are always better. The Monsters We Defy is definitely on the list of excellent books showcasing a fantasy twist, but still rooted in our world, entrenched with our own societal problems. While it's not labelled as 'book 1' I think there is a lot more to happen with these characters and in this timeline. I really hope Penelope plans to carry on and we get to learn more about the coveted ring that dominates the plot, more about how our characters get on without their Charms and Tricks to help (or hinder) them, and a lot more about our leading girl's budding romance with a sexy musician. This is a world that while cruel and mean is not only interesting; but historically pertinent. I was glad to read The Monsters We Defy for both the real and fictional narratives.

If you like YA fantasy that is quick, magical, a touch romantic, and overall gritty then you should definitely pick up The Monsters We Defy.
Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Ooh I love the premise of this book!
Sometimes I feel like literature (especially YA) is really moving in waves. The whole urban fantasy thing started in the present, went on to Dystopian, then we had a year or five of Victorian set fantasy, which I love but is getting a little old - so if the next thing is taking us to different cultures and timelines, I'm all for it! Nothing against historical fiction, but don't we love a little fantasy to spice things up ;)