Monday, November 21, 2022

Book Review: The House of Fortune

The House of Fortune
by Jessie Burton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


A good read… but not near as amazing as the first. The gothic, eeriness of the first book, The Miniaturist, is missing here. The last 1/3 of the book didn’t have the same tone as I loved in The Miniaturist. I can’t quite put my finger on it; but something is missing. Maybe Jessie Burton just got a bit softer in the last ten years? And so that is represented in her writing? Maybe there needed to be more death or tragic events? (I know I’m morbid…)
After thinking on this for about a month I can honestly say that my biggest concern is that The House of Fortune was forgettable. Whereas The Miniaturist is will a book, even having read it 10 years ago, that comes to mind and has moments I can remember. This might be one of those times when a sequel was not needed; but the publisher wanted one? Whatever the reason it's a good read. I wouldn't not recommend it, but I would say only if you love The Miniaturist is this one worth picking up.

Please note: I received an eARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley. This is an honest and unbiased review.

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

It always feels weird to me if a book has a sequel after such a long time!