Friday, November 4, 2022

Book Review: Small Spaces

Small Spaces 
by Katherine Arden
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


What a ride!!! This first in a series by Katherine Arden (Bear and the Nightingale) is crazy good. Easily up there with Lockwood and Co. for spooky, creepy, but still appropriate for middle grade ages.
I read most of this in one night between midnight and 2am. In my very secure home, with my husband sleeping upstairs and my pitbull dog sleeping next to me; and I STILL got shivers. Now that is impressive for a middle grade book!
The best part of this book? It had bullying turned positive, real friendships being mad, grief handled well, AND very little (if arguably any) love interest. I just couldn’t ask for better. Plus the lead girl is a reader and there are lots of random literature Easter eggs and many overt callouts to Alice in Wonderland.

I have had Arden’s adult fantasy series on my to be read print shelf for a couple years. It has just skyrocketed to the top of my pile to read!! If it’s even half as good as this I’ll be happy. Although now my expectations are higher. (Lol)

I’ve got book 2 on hold at the library and already looking at how I secure a few copies of this for Christmas so all the is middle grade kiddos in my life can get scared by it too!! Seriously go read this like right now (it’s currently October as I write this and the perfect time)!

Above all, don’t forget, to stay to small spaces… where THEY can’t reach you. And don’t forget a smiling, kind person isn’t always good…

Follow me on Goodreads

1 comment:

Leonore Winterer said...

Middle school horror might just be the right way to go for a scardy cat like myself...although I wonder if this might even be to much for me now LOL